Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you have gathered your collection, have you employed a specific strategy or simply added to the group as things became available? Are you more likely to collect a representative sample of every type of Python made (for example), or purchase a Python, then a New Service, then something else? Do you have an area of focus?

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
I don't have an area of focus. As far as Colt's go, I buy any Colt that is generally in 98% + condition and a reasonable (whatever that is) price. I will also buy lesser condition guns and trade or sell up for a better condition example (e.g. 1903 or 1908 Colt Hammerless). I love all firearms and am not limited to just Colts, but my recent emphasis has been on Colt's. I've purchased 27 in all in the last 7 months. To me they are an investment. But don't get me wrong; I shoot the hell out of a lot my guns and I have many.

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
Well sure I do BUT sometimes you have to just take advantage of a situation......

I went to a show this spring with no idea what a 3" Combat Python was or it's value.....

Boy am I glad I was able to "getter done" ......now....

I have a good friend that is my "COLT EXPERT".....I only buy it if he tells me not too ;) ;) ;) it works for me....

I do crazy stuff like consecutive numbers and same serial numbers in my RUGER collecting....I think things like that will be a lot more difficult with COLTS...RR

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Fairly simple but maybe broad in scope, aside from pieces owned almost forever, I'm into 1880s to WW-1 Colts and S&Ws, big frame revolvers and big frame Colt pre-1911 autos. That's mostly S&W .44 Top-breaks & Triple Locks, Colt New Service & 1902 -1905 Automatics. Now and then I happen upon one in nice survivor condition, a nice shooter, rarely a collectible I'm willing to pay for but quite often something in beater condition I love to restore or modify into something else.

Here an example, sort of a collage of beater 1917 to a .45 Colt snub.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I concur with Chaffee but I'll collect new firearms as well.

Additionally, I sold a very large block of favorite guns to pay for my daughter's wedding, many, many years ago. It paid for the wedding and their honeymoon to Tahiti and Bora Bora.
And while I was able to live vicariously through their resulting photos, I still miss those guns!!

So now I'm recouping some of them as they come up for sale; IF they come up for sale. :cool:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I buy what is available that I want and can afford. In the past Colt SAA, S&W New Model #3's, Winchester 1873's, 1886's, 1892's and 1894's. Currently Colt autos from the 1900 through 1911A1's with the latest ones pre series 70's. All pre 1970 38 Supers , also Colt 1903 and 1908's.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Ironically my collection direction was defined just yesterday. I've always been a Python, DS guy who just in the past few years been all about SAAs especially engraved SAAs. Well I received a NIB Auto Ordinance Thompson 1927 on Friday. A very nice gun that I've been waiting on for over a month. It was placed on the couch in the spare room in it's very nice case. I looked at it twice and realized that it was not within scope of my Colt focus. Last night, thirty hours from receipt I traded it for an SAA .45 and Peacemaker .22. I woke up a much more satisfied man today and with direction.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
If there's something I get the bug for, I'll search all over the usual places for it, and not find one(or more than likely not find one I can afford). It's when I'm not looking for something, that I find it. I've always found my best deals and best finds by chance. They're never the gun I'm looking for at the time, but always one I'm happy to have found.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My only strategy is to optimally pay no more than $500 for any Colt. This year this strategy has yielded me 4 revolvers and a 1903 auto. This rule backfired because I passed up a Trooper for $550. I should have tried to negotiate rather than leave. Oh well. The $500 rule does not apply to 1911s and theoretically SAAs.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
It's when I'm not looking for something, that I find it. I've always found my best deals and best finds by chance. They're never the gun I'm looking for at the time, but always one I'm happy to have found.
I'll second that.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.