Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a third issue (I think) Detective Special. Its a .38 of course. Its serial # is 56539R. Can anybody tell me the approximate year it was made? Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
XLRRP
Welcome to the forum, stick around and you can learn and have some great fun on this forum.

Your DS was made in late 1978.
Good luck and good shooting with your new acquisition

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Diamondback. Guess I caught the Colt bug. I've got a 2 1/2" Diamondback on its way also.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
XLRRP

22LR or 38SPL?

------------------
Dick

That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting Diamondback. Its a shame that they are so rare and expensive. I'd love to have one in .22. I've got a mint nickel Smith 34 .22 snub, but I rarely shoot it. It just doesn't have the "class" that the Diamondback has.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
XLRRP
Not to steal your thread here but you mentioned "class" with regard to Diamondbacks. Here are three in 22LR, the "holy grail" being the middle one, a 6" 22LR nickel NIB. The BB says 2200 were made, my research says it could be more like 900-1100. Who knows?

------------------
Dick

That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very fine Diamondback. They're beautiful. I've always been partial to snubs, but I might have to change my ways.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
They sure did in blue, but they are harder than hens teeth to find, very scarse and very expensive. I was dumb enough about four years ago to pass on one for $750, no box or papers, now the prices are almost double. I have yet to see a 22LR 2 1/2" in nickel and so far no-one has ever been able to even show me a picture of one. My research says that they never made any, but some (word I got was about 12) 2 1/2s were shipped in blue and supposedly before sale sent back to the factory, stripped and re-nickeled. I have mixed feelings about this, to me, a shipped, returned and then factory nickeled gun is not a standard factory issue (read that-catalog item) and would probably have very little collector interest to me. If someone has an authentic, verifiable 22LR 2 1/2" nickel Diamondback, I would love to see it, or at least a picture of it.

------------------
Dick

That word is Liberty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts