Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a Colt Officers Model Heavy Barrel 38 Special. The ser. # is 750XXX. Can anybody tell me when this gun was made?
Thanks
Van

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Van,
All I can tell you is that it was made after 1945 and it's a Post War gun. I would guess about 1947/48 but that's only a guess as Post War guns are not my thing.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VSchneider:
I recently picked up a Colt Officers Model Heavy Barrel 38 Special. The ser. # is 750XXX. Can anybody tell me when this gun was made?
Thanks
Van
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I could be wrong, but my book says 1958.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
153 Posts
DB68,
I thought for sure that the OMT was long gone before 1958. I don't have a book handy but would like to know what book are you looking at.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:

I could be wrong, but my book says 1958.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Ira

I realize the gun appears to be an OMT, but I was just going by the serial number in the books: "The Colt Heritage", "The Book of Colt Firearms", and R.L. Wilson's "COLT'S, Dates of Manufacture".
As I said, I could be wrong, cause as we know, nothing is absolute when it comes to serial numbers and firearms.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 04-16-2004).]

·
Registered
153 Posts
DB68,
The gun not only appears to be a OMT it is a OMT, the last record I have of a OMT 38 being made is from 1949, also 1949 is when the OMS came out and the numbers started in the 783,000 range and went up into the 789,000 range in the early 1950's.
I cant find anything anywhere that would relate 1958 to the 750,000 range.

Numbers can sometimes be confusing but there usually within a few years of being correct. It's not unusual for a Mfg. to make a gun say in 1970 and not ship it till 1972, especially if it's not a high demand gun, but the records would still show that the gun was Mfg. in 1970. In all of my research I cant find where any Flat Top OMT frames were being made in the mid 1950's as Colt switched to the fully adjustable rear sight type frame in 1949 with the OMS and then went on to the OMM, a different frame again.
IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:

Ira

I realize the gun appears to be an OMT, but I was just going by the serial number in the books: "The Colt Heritage", "The Book of Colt Firearms", and R.L. Wilson's "COLT'S, Dates of Manufacture".
As I said, I could be wrong, cause as we know, nothing is absolute when it comes to serial numbers and firearms.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Ira Paine (edited 04-16-2004).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
That's why I said "appears to be an OMT, because the only serial number that matches 750XXX is an OM in 1958. All Vschneider describes it as is and OM Heavy Barrel 38 Special. Maybe someone switched barrels or VSchneider has given us a bum serial number, that's all I'm saying.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

·
Registered
153 Posts
DB68,
Interesting that Colt would be up into the 789,000 range in the early 1950's then back slide to the 750,000 range in 1958. The way Colt was produceing guns in the mid to late 50's I thought for sure they would be into the 875,000 to 900,000 range.

Guess if I'm going to open my mouth about these Post War guns I should buy one of them serial number books, better yet I'll stick to Pre War Target Colts. Maybe Van did give us the wrong number but when he said "Heavy Barrel" I thought for sure it was a OMT because I didn't think Colt used that term with any of the OMS or OMM guns because ( I may be wrong on this ) they all had Heavy Barrels, didn't they.
IP

That's why I said "appears to be an OMT, because the only serial number that matches 750XXX is an OM in 1958. All Vschneider describes it as is and OM Heavy Barrel 38 Special. Maybe someone switched barrels or VSchneider has given us a bum serial number, that's all I'm saying.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
The OMT mentioned should be about 1947. In looking at the charts from "The Colt Heritage," I find NO serial number for any Colt revolver in the 1958 column that is very close to 750,000. The Officers Model is shown as starting at 74950 in 1958, so perhaps DB saw a digit that was not there. The Police Positive Speical is shown as starting at 710600 in 1958, so perhaps DB looked at that listing by mistake.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
JudgeColt, I stand corrected and I had just looked it up again and noticed my error (one digit short) just before you posted and I apologize to Ira. I am so sorry, I guess my tired old eyes are not what the used to be. I'll try to double check before I shoot off my mouth again.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT HANG ONTO ONE GUN,
JUST IN CASE!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 04-17-2004).]

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 04-17-2004).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone that replyed. To answer some questions about the gun, yes it is an Officers Model Target Heavy Barrel. Other than more blue wear it looks just like the one shown on the COLT-1 web site.
Thanks again
Van

1 - 11 of 11 Posts