Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,
Would one of you distinguished gents with a book look up two numbers for me? My Official Police is #555511 and these are found on both legs of the cylinder crane. The last patent date is 1926. My .357, which I was told to be a 1957 model, is #11245, in the same spots. There are no patent dates on the barrel. Please? Over?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
rcw
Your OP 555511 was made in 1929, and the .357 was indeed made in 1957.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I THANK you, Mr. D! This OP was my father's police gun. One summer night, when I was about 9 or 10, happened to wake up in the middle of the night to hear running feet, and a man yell, "Stop or I'll SHOOT!" And then, shortly, "CRACK!" My dad had caught someone trying to break into the post office, about a half a block from our house. The would-be burglar stoppped in his tracks at the warning shot and had breakfast on the county for the next few months. (And lunch, and supper as he was out on parole for more of the same.) Years later, I asked my dad if he remembered that. "Yeah," I shouldda shot the SOB," was his reply. After doing some years as cop, myself, I know NOBODY stops for warning shots anymore. Times are certainly different. But that gun and hot, muggy summer nights make me remember how a little boy feels to really be PROTECTED. Never, ever gave my pop a hard time about ANYTHING, either! Thanks for your info, Mr. D!QUOTE]Originally posted by diamonback68:

rcw
Your OP 555511 was made in 1929, and the .357 was indeed made in 1957.

[/QUOTE]

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,904 Posts
They still fire warning shots????

WHERE are you living.
Warning shots went out with the fedora-wearing detective.

Now days, the cop shouts, "Stop or I'll file a wrongful flight complaint on you".
In those Old Days, a warning shot was short hand for: "Stop, or the next thing you hear will be Satan asking for your reservation".

Then the warning shot became: "Please stop, I can't run with 25 pounds of gear on my belt, and I'm about to have a heart attack".

These days a warning shot says, "Cop about to be fired".
The warning shot is now an interesting legend about a by-gone era.

TRUE STORY FROM THE "OLD DAYS":
In the county seat of my county many years ago, the Sheriff provided the only law enforcement, and he and a few Deputies took turns being on call at night.

The Chief Deputy was a monster of a man, 6' 8" and about 300 pounds, NO FAT.

He kept getting called out in the middle of the night one winter for some little creep coming home drunk and beating his wife.

After about the 4th time, the Deputy took the creep out into his backyard, put a pair of gloves on, (NOT sap gloves, he didn't need 'em) and proceeded to SLAP the creep silly.

This was with the entire neighborhood watching over the fences.
He then informed the creep that every time he got called out of a warm bed to pull him off his wife, they were going out into the back yard again.

The creep never again beat up on his wife, the Deputy didn't get called out on his account, the neighborhood thought the Deputy was a HELL of a man, and there was peace and quiet.

Of course this was in the "Bad Old Days" when cops could abuse citizens, unlike today's enlightened times where the police get called to the same house 45,000 times until somebody gets killed, often the cop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts