Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a Series 70 Mark IV Gold Cup today. Appears virtually unfired with box and papers. I would appreciate the DOB. 70N469XX Thanks!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Well, my reference shows that the last serial number recorded in 1977 is 70N40401 but leaves 1978 blank and shows the last serial number recorded in 1979 as 70N66934. My Gold Cup, purchased new in 1980 is number 70N69998.

I would guess your gun was manufactured in 1978. Sorry about the blank on the year 1978. Perhaps someone else will chime in with better data.

A warm welcome to you for joining the Colt Forum! It appears that you have a distinct interest in things Colt as you've acquired a couple of nice ones recently, both a revolver and a semi-auto.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the information and the warm welcome. I have recently started a collection and these are my first Colts. I started with S&W's and have some very interesting models. Latest one is a Model 53 "Jet" 8 3/8ths barrel with the extra .22LR cylinder. First year production (1961) and mint. Seecamp LWS .32 (best pocket gun). Browning High Power 9mm and a mint 1969 Challenger .22LR 6". Also just picked up a Dan Wesson Pistol Pac in .22LR. Barrels are 2.5,4,6,and 8". 2 grips, belt buckle and patch, extra site set, tools, papers, in the hard luggage case. Love these. I still "need" the .357 and the .44 mag sets. I'm concentrating on the classics. (in my opinion) Plenty of time later for plastic (Tuperware?)and Black guns.

This Gold Cup I bought is LNIB with all papers except the owners manual. Could you direct me a guide on how to strip and clean this fine gun? (I will definately shoot this) I have seen the reproductions listed on Ebay. If I cannot find the correct Vintage one, I will order the copy. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Here's a link I keep in my favorites that should have information on your Gold Cup. If it doesn't show a manual specifically for the Gold Cup then simply use the Series 70 Model "O" manual.

http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

I've thought that playing with a Model 53 would be a lot of fun. My dad always wanted one when I was a kid but never got one.

My problem is I grew up with the "classics" which are the only ones I'm interested in owning and using. I like Colt, Smith& Wesson, Winchester, many pre-war Remingtons, U.S. military and British military along with other famous or classic firearms like Lugers, Hi-Powers etc. My problem is I don't have the funds to indulge myself as I'd like to do.

I've long since discovered that I'm allergic to guns that are of "plastic", aluminum alloy, or even stainless steel.

The favorite "usin' guns" from my collection are:

Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel .38 Special
Colt Model 1911 .45 ACP
Winchester pre-64 Model 70 .30-06
Winchester Model 12 Shotgun

I enjoy high-power rifle competition with the M1.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts