Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DOB on a 4\" Python and your thoughts

Hi, brand new to this site, but heard you guys are the experts. Just found a 4" blued Python #E93010. Original grips with medallion. Very clean, nearly perfect finish, looks like it's had very little use.Timing seems good, tight lock up. They are asking $750. I am new to hand guns but overall looks very good. Looking for DOB and your thoughts on value. I am in Iowa. Thanks!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,229 Posts
Re: DOB on a 4\" Python and your thoughts

E93010 is a 1975 model.

That year, the E series ran from E83701, and the E series ended at E99999.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the info. That was fast! Anyone with thoughts on a value??

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

$750 sounds like a good price for one in great condition w/ 30 years on it. A very good price if the box, paperwork, and tool is included in the sale.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks Majic! As it happened, it did come with the box and paperwork, but no tool. I just couldn't pass it up and now have my very first hand gun! I figured a python was an amazing start to a collection...One question though, the picture of the colt on the gun appears to have something in it's mouth. The seller thought maybe it was a sword. I don't remember seeing this on other Colts but I haven't seen that many up close. Anyone with info?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,229 Posts

I can't find the actual info right now, but the Colt Pony was the Colt family seal.

The objects are spears.
The one in the pony's mouth signifies the pony is ready to fight for the family????

The spear in the legs is broken signifying a fallen Leader. This was added after Sam Colt died.

Hopefully someone will post the actual meaning and history.

·
Registered
909 Posts

According to Steve Fjestad in "Colt and It's Collectors", the rampant colt symbol was adopted from the original coat of arms for the ancestral Colte family, first appearing in Waltham Abbey, Essex, England in 1559. Samuel Colt investigated his British ancestors during his trip in 1851, and adopted the the English Colte family coat of arms, changing the "full speed" colt to a rampant colt, rearing with front legs elevated. The broken spear represented knightly service and valor on the battlefield. The rampant colt first appeared on an engraved Navy revolver given to patent attorney Edward Dickerson in 1851.

I bet you appreciate your Python even more now, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

hey thanks! it has me interested now and i plan to research it. if i find out more info. i'll be sure to post it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Wow! Thanks for the fascinating info., Bushwacker. And as far as my Python, I love it more everyday....I will never sell it. It is trully a piece of history.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts