Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new (2 me) Colt Detective Special this morning.
Based on the design of the blue plastic case and the cardboard outer 'sleeve', it appears to be from the mid 1980s -- just a guess.

I really hate to impose, but could someone please look up this gun's DOB for me?

S/N: D625xR

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It has to be later than 1985 because that is the last date of published serial numbers and it is not on there. You will have to contact Colt to get DOB.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I believe suspended from circa 1986 to 1991, then resurrected until 1994ish. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just in case anyone here keeps records, Colt said that my Detective Special with S/N D625xR was manufactured in 1995.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
OK, 1995ish. It is indeed in the 1995 catalog and price list along with the introduction of the SF-VI, thus the claim that the SF-VI was named differently because there were still DSs in the pipeline. They were not in the 1996 price list. RDxxxx was still being used in 1994. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW, the customer service lady I spoke to on the phone was, initially, very perplexed with this S/N. I was asked to repeat 3 times that the first character was a "D" and the last was an "R". She finally seemed to find it on her list and said something like "OH...here it is! It was manufactured in 1995".

BTW, I shot it for the first time today side-by-side with my new (1976) Colt AGENT. Surprisingly, POA/POI was exactly the same @ 10 yards for both guns. Both are more accurate than I expected. I'm happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts