Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
JACKPOT!!
Its a first year production, 1969.

The numbers started at J1001 and ended that year at J8600.

As a first year gun, your's should have the early counter-bored chambers which enclose the cartridge case heads.

Later production guns changed to a ring-like "fence" around the outside edge of the cylinder.

·
Registered
794 Posts
dfaris brings up an interesting tidbit of info regarding the differences in cylinders on the MKIII.

Another interesting difference between your early production 6" MKIII & late production is the front sight & the top strap. Late production has a gradual ramp upward toward the barrel with the front site perched on the ramp. The older production had a flat top strap with the front site mounted on a pedestal base. Yours should be the latter.

So does any one know what model years these changes took place?

I figure the answer will come from someone with a large MKIII collection or a great reference book. I can narrow it down to a range of years for each trait based on my MKIII collection but not sure of the exact years the changes took place.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Rwalter, was your 1980 a 6"? I have only noted the ramped top strap on the 6" & 8" MKIII's. None of my 4" have this trait.

My 1981 MKIII with 6" DOES have the ramp. So if your 1980 was a 6" then we are safe to assume that this change took place beginning in 1981 affecting the 6" & 8" models.

My 1977 MKIII 6" does NOT have the ramp, so I was only able to figure the change happened somewhere between 1977 & 1981.

Regarding the cylinder trait I know that my 1971 6" MKIII is the same as your 1969. We are getting close to the answer for this one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did double check the cylinder and it is counter-bored a la S&W pre 1981. The front site is mounted on a pedestal base and the entire top strap of the barrel is flat.
However, I compared this Trooper Mk III in 357 with the J73xx SN to my Trooper Mk III in 22lr with a SN of Y87xx circa 1980 and the front site arrangement and the entire top of the barrel with the flat strap the whole length are identical.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts