Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody tell me the DOB of a third issue detective special...the serial # is C030XX. Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Puzzling, the serial number dates to 1972, but third issue didn't supposedly start until 1973. If it doesn't have the shrouded ejector rod, it's second issue, if it does, it's third issue. They may have had some old frames from 2nd that they put the shrouded barrel on and thus made it a 3rd. I guess you would call it a "transitional" piece.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Diamondback. It has the full ejector shroud, so I guess its kind of a third issue. Were there any other differences between the second and third issues?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Not that I know of other than the shrouded barrel.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have C122xx, also from the 1972 range of numbers ~ with the shrouded ejector. I thought it possible that someone installed a 3rd issue barrel on my 2nd issue frame - if there is a difference between 2nd and 3rd issue frames ( I assumed there was because of the 3rd issue +P capability). Anyway, it makes me think twice about feeding +P to my 1972 "3rd issue" DS.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
The shrouded barrel Colt's were introduced in 1972.

Buried somewhere, I have a 1972 factory announcement ad, and several late '72, early '73 magazine ads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts