Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find Glock people to be more than a little arrogant?

They act like if you're not carrying a Glock then there is something wrong with you.

Glock, to them, is the greatest things since sliced bread.

I've seen this with LEOs too all over the net who prefer something else. They get shoved around with the Glock mentality in policy and requirements.

I'm not knocking people who like Glocks or necessarily the pistol itself. Personally I don't like them, I would never buy one. They're ugly, they're plastic, they don't feel good to me, they don't have a hammer or. But I understand some people feel different. I have a lot of friends who like Glocks and will swear on them. But I'm talking about a mindset and influence that seems to make up a lot of people these days.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Funny story. A buddy at work bought a 27 (I think) the small .40 anyway, and couldn't hit anything with it. Looking at the fired bullets, they have like rifleing marks on half the bullet but not the other half. I know polygonal rifleing and all, but why only on 1 side???? He sent the gun back to Glock, and while it was there, ask them to put night sights on ($57.00 I think) and check it. They send it back to him 2 weeks later with a machine rest target with three bullet holes touching and tell him there is no problem (just $78.00 to ship it to them and $57 for the sights). These are some of the spent rounds, tell me if they seem normal to you guys:

Now the corker, a week later, he gets a notice from FedEx that they have a package for him. He goes down at lunch and picks it up, and it's a really nice slightly used full size 9mm in the box . He comes back to work (by the way, FedEx didn't even require a signature for the package) and opens it up and we all kinda laugh. We talked about it and knew the only right thing to do is call Glock and let them know they shipped an EXTRA gun. He calls and explains, and after 10 minutes of trying to convince them it is not his, they ask for the serial number and decide it is indeed another sent in for warranty work. They will send him a paid shipping label. They ask (kinda snotty) if there's anything else they can do for him, and he jokingly says "Yea, how about sending me a cap or T shirt for letting you know you were missing one" to which they reply "OH, WE CAN'T DO THAT" and they hang up.

What a bunch of goofballs, they did kinda break a few Federal Laws by sending him a gun that was not his, RIGHT.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I race USPSA with a Glock 35 and I have a Glock 23 in the night stand. When I show my firearms to friends, the Glocks stay put away. To me, they are tools. When I want outstanding accuracy, I go for a Kimber Match. When I want a big boom, it's the S&W 29-2. When I want to really enjoy myself.... Colts in .38spl. But when I have to depend on it to go BANG... It's a Glock.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
I find the attitude you are talking about a pain in the butt, too, but it isn't limited to Glock users.
Ever see somebody who won't accept any other semi auto than the Mod O pistol? A person like that can be just as vociferous. And there may be just as many Mod O fans like that as Glock people like that.

I've had Glocks since the first import lot of Mod 17s hit the shores. I did the same when the HK PSP was first imported. I currently have 2 Glock variants and 2 HK USP variants.

I find that there is a certain type of personality that only touts the firearm, or sports teams, or car, or boat, fine watch, etc. they have and cherish. Everything else is "junk" or inferior. Those folks become tiresome and boorish quickly. You find people like this all the time.
I don't think it really has much to do with the brand or item as much as it does with the person. Maybe you just notice it more with Glock people?

Personally, I prefer my HK plastic pistols to my Glocks, I prefer my Colt snubbys to my S&W snubbys, and I prefer the Dallas Cowboys to the Steelers. I prefer Fords to Chevys. But I also like other makes of guns. other cars, and other football teams. I generally won't argue superiority when the two items being compared are both of excellent quality.
Take my word for it, people like that are all over the place.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I dislike Glocks and joke about how they are Tupperware. I am really not a fan of any polymer or striker fire gun. However, I do own a Glock 19. I keep it by the bed for home defense. The good thing about it is; it doesn’t take a lot of maintenance to keep in ready to fire, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY it would not be devastating if it was stolen! They are good inexpensive guns for this purpose.

But to answer your overall question, yes Glock has a strong following overall and they can be very passionate about them.

·
Premium Member
8,204 Posts
I love my Colts and USFAs, in fact so much that I carry Glocks and Rugers for protection.. because I trust all of these that I have will go Bang.. Glock. Colt . Ruger. I only carry the ones I shoot enough. But if I had to defend myself and family, I believe that I would have to relinquish the gun for some period of time, if not permanently, and I also see most of the Rugers and all of my Glock guns as tools that are for that purpose.
To the OP's point, I would think all firearm manufacturers think highly of their guns ..
however, after reading NORTEXED post , there is at least one person at Glock that made a huge mistake to send an extra gun to a person.. and at least one real JERK there at Glock that wouldn't voluntarily thank a person with a cap for keeping the ATF from discovering a missing gun at some point in time.
On the flip side, I called Pro-Shot about a mix up on some cleaning supplies last year. Turns out it was my fault .. I had the wrong tracking number and they sent me a cap anyway.. and they don't even sell caps at all. maybe Glock does need some Public Relations training on the Friday afternoon or Monday morning meetings

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
As with any "following" the Glock people DO have their stalwart fans that believe if it's not Glock it's not anything. I personally don't like the way they fit my hand, nor the look, but that's just me. It's plastic, it works (so I've heard ad nauseum) but it's not in my genetic makeup to own one or even to hold one again. I like steel and wood even though I have a SIG that has polymer grip panels (I think they're polymer). Every gun I own I trust with my life or I wouldn't own it. If I buy ANY gun that fails to perform, it's gone, even if I take a loss. I have noticed that on local pages there are an awful lot of Glock's for sale, by as much as 10-1 of any other brand. Maybe it's because they are everywhere? Dunno, Don't care to know ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Glock has one of the most aggressive marketing efforts I have ever seen and it works. When Glock first came on the scene I was a SWAT commander and the Glock folks were showing up at our SWAT trainings and competitions trying to give the things away. I literally had to tell them to leave me alone. They have been relentless with their marketing over the past 25 years or so and that is what has made them prevail in the police market. They are a very reliable handgun but remember what made them so popular from the start and why so many agencies adopted them when we were scrambling around trying to transition from revolvers to autos-they are cheap and the bean counters like that. I as well as a lot of administrators did not like them early on for safety reasons because of the number of accidental discharges with officers who had transitioned to them from revolvers. Where police handguns are concerned my philosophy is buy the best you can afford. I insisted on Sigs before I retired for the last replacement cycle in my department because of the quality issue but I wouldn't be surprised to see even that department move to the ubiquitous Glocks for budget reasons next time around. If asked for my opinion I would still recommend Sigs for department issue, if the department could afford them, and if I had it to do over again I would allow officers to carry their own 1911's

·
Registered
103 Posts
I cant comprehend why people attempt to compare any two types of pistols, it just dosnt make sense. Its like a caliber comparisonTheyre all gonna have their pros and cons. Its apples to oranges in my humble oppinion. You dont have to like every gun ever made but to be snobish and argue for one type over another is stupid. Its a debate that will never cease.Enjoy what you have, train with it and become profficient and quit knocking the next guys firearm. He owns it for his reasons and you own yours for diff reasons. As for Glock CS that was shitty they could of done a little something for the effort. Especially in a circumstance like that. I carry Glock on duty for my own personal reasons. That dosnt make my co worker stupid for carrying his 1911. Some people should just GET OVER IT and let other owners enjoy theyre guns

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I own several Glocks and consider them utilitarian handguns. No shame in owning or not owning one IMO. They serve a purpose but do not in any way make their owners special.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
They only rub me the wrong way if I'm not holding it right!! I had a Glock 26 - Thought it was a little to small for my big hands, so I sold it. My late Uncle, a retired LEO, had always been a revolver guy. But he fell in love with the Glocks. He'd tell me " Herman (something he called everyone) they're butt ugly, but they shoot like hell." When he passed he had 4 of them. But then he had 3 times as many revolvers.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I absolutely detest the things. If it was the only thing around I would have one because I value my ability for self defense above my loathing of glocks. But recreational shooting would be a thing of the past. A few friends have them and out of respect for their feelings I try a few shots, tell them thank you and give them the gun back.

·
Administrator
7,437 Posts
Honestly no . Unless they start to insult or demean another person's non-Glock choice .

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
When I can't find any more metal guns I guess I'll buy plastic guns. If I live that long. I'm over fifty and I've seen LOTS of products that used to be metal replaced with plastic versions and I always thought the metal ones were better.

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
I might need a priest for this but I've got a confession: I have 2 glock 17's that I bought new in sept. or oct. of '08 (think about it). Bought a bunch of 15 rd mags, "evil bullet spraying" 33's and bright rail lights as well. Have never shot them. Guess I got 'em as a hedge or insurance or whatever. They are put away and will probably stay that way. They're just not that fun to play with while watching tv. May the wood and steel Antique Gun Gods forgive me.....

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I am not the biggest fan of Glocks for one reason only.That is you have to pull the trigger to break it down.Yes you make sure the gun is unloaded,blah,blah,blah but it only takes one minor lapse in technique and BANG.There have been ad nauseum incidents of documented AD's from reversing drop the mag,rack the slide.It is a very reliable gun and suits its uses well but it has this one major flaw. In my first steps course on the Glock I teach drop the mag,rack the slide x3,collect and count the ammo and move it out of area,lock slide back,visually verify no mag or round in chamber,release slide lock,them dry fire and proceed with breakdown technique.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It seems to me that the Glock mentality is an artificial one, created for marketing purposes. It also seems that some people drink more of the Glock Kool-Aid more than others. I carry a Glock 22 for duty, and a 27 as back-up for ammunition commonality. But, as much as they work well, I had a Glock 22 in the past that was utter junk. Jammed constantly, poor accuracy. A real turd, glad it's gone. The new one is accurate and just does not malfunction. Happy to have it. But...My first sidearm was a Python. It may not hold 16 rounds, but if you can find a Glock that shoots as well I will, well, never mind, you can't. Ain't gonna happen, ever. My instructor, who wore nothing but Glock clothing and spent hours telling us how great Glocks are, asked if he could shoot it as soon as he laid eyes on it LOL!As for my tactical Tupperware, I prefer my HK 45C. Not a Python, but more accurate and comfortable than a Glock. Just as reliable too...

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am also finding a lot of Springfield XD fans. Do I own a Glock- yes. I have owned 3 19,22, and current 23 gen3 model. I can not get used to a trigger in a trigger. At one time it did not bother me but now it really bothers me. I just do not like the feel of the trigger. I do not like any firearm that has this set up. Oh and yes I do get rubbed the wrong way by glock homers. JMHO.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.