Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question to the group.

Does anyone have detailed specs on a Colt Defender or New Agent?

I ask because I would like to know just how much bigger and heavier the Colts are than the Sig as I have thought about moving to a Colt for daily carry.
I have looked for detailed specs on the Colts but have been unable to locate any.
Cannot find the Frame width, Overall height,
Weight:w/FullMag+1, and Sight Radius,

Thanks,
Jim R

For reference, here are the P938 specs off mine compared to what I could find on the Defender.

Sig 938Defender
Caliber9mm .45 ACP
Barrel Length:3"3"
Length:5.9"6.75"
Frame Width:1.1"
Overall Height:3.9"
Weight: no Mag 16 oz24 oz.
Weight:w/FullMag+1 22.15 oz.
Frame Material: AlumAlum
Barrel-Slide Finish:SSSS
Trigger Pull:7.5-8.5 lbs
Sight Radius:4.2"
Front Sight:TritiumWhiteDot
Rear Sight:TritiumWhiteDot
Mag CapacitySevenSeven
Action TypeSAOSAO

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
These are old and I am in the process of going through this again, but off my database:
Defender Series-90. Purchased new in 2003 (Do not think you need the exact date). Called Colt and production was 2002. S/N DB25xxx. Finish: Aluminum alloy frame, SS slide. Yes on box. Cal is .45ACP. Rnds: 6+1 (yes I know the Officer length mag can have 7 rounds and you can buy them and Colt now supplies them.) Grams 718 Ounces 25.33 (This would be with the supplied mag. Sorry and I am now going back and looking at these guys without mags.) Height 127mm Length 174mm Width 31mm (this would be at the widest point. Trigger pull: New: 5lb 2oz Trigger pull 200 rounds 4lb 7oz (a note that says very nice trigger).

Problems: Two FTF in the first 50 rounds. No problems reported since and the pistol now has over 3200 rounds. (I just put a checkmark every 50 rounds an no notes means no problems).

Range: Ransom-no Bags: 230FMJ 3.2 (5-5) 230JHP 3.0 (5-5) 200SWC 2.2 (5-5). Means I never put it in a Ransom Rest but shot it over bags at 25 yards and the groups are the average in inches of 5 consecutive 5 shot groups (NRA), first with 230 gr FMJ Winchester then 230gr HP Winchester and finally with cast 200gr lead cast SWC.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You might want to consider the data for a 9mm Defender; that way you'll have a somewhat "apples-to-apples" comparison. I can measure mine tonight and post the results tomorrow. FWIW, I believe the 9mm Defender will be slightly heavier than the .45ACP version due to the extra metal in the barrel; the outside diameter of the 9mm and .45 barrels are the same, only the interior dimension is different.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I guess you need a picture of this old guy. This gave me an idea to add sight radius as I go back through stuff. I recently realized the sight radius on my Ruger SR1911CMD was just about the same as my much older Ruger P90. Anyway, back on thread my Defender as it now exists. I replaced the grips with some from the old Ajax Co. and the rear sight is a Novak I bought off of Brownells.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are old and I am in the process of going through this again, but off my database:
Defender Series-90. Purchased new in 2003 (Do not think you need the exact date). Called Colt and production was 2002. S/N DB25xxx. Finish: Aluminum alloy frame, SS slide. Yes on box. Cal is .45ACP. Rnds: 6+1 (yes I know the Officer length mag can have 7 rounds and you can buy them and Colt now supplies them.) Grams 718 Ounces 25.33 (This would be with the supplied mag. Sorry and I am now going back and looking at these guys without mags.) Height 127mm Length 174mm Width 31mm (this would be at the widest point. Trigger pull: New: 5lb 2oz Trigger pull 200 rounds 4lb 7oz (a note that says very nice trigger).

Hope that helps.
Thanks,

This helps a bunch.

Jim

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might want to consider the data for a 9mm Defender; that way you'll have a somewhat "apples-to-apples" comparison. I can measure mine tonight and post the results tomorrow. FWIW, I believe the 9mm Defender will be slightly heavier than the .45ACP version due to the extra metal in the barrel; the outside diameter of the 9mm and .45 barrels are the same, only the interior dimension is different.
Yes, but from what I can look up the 9mm and the 45 have the same external specs. So if I was to change I would likely go .45

Thanks,
Jim R

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After putting in dakota1911's specs, here is what I have.

BTW, after some internal polishing, a lighter Wolff hammer spring, and over 2k rounds my 938 trigger averages a 4.5lb pull on my Lyman digital.

Sig 938Defender
Caliber9mm .45 ACP
Barrel Length:3" 3"
Length:5.9" 6.75"
Frame Width:1.1" 1.22"
Overall Height:3.9" 5"
Weight: no Mag16 oz 24 oz.
Weight:empty Mag25.33 oz
Weight:w/FullMag+122.15oz.
Frame Material:AlumAlum
Barrel-Slide Finish:SSSS
Trigger Pull:7.5-8.5lbs 5.02 lbs
Sight Radius:4.2"
Front Sight:Tritium WhiteDot
Rear Sight:Tritium WhiteDot
Mag CapacitySeven Seven
Action TypeSAO SAO

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here are some measurements I took last night of my 9mm Colt Defender:
Frame width (@ dustcover) .77 inches
Frame width (@ slide) .93 inches
Weight (no magazine) 25.05 oz
Weight (8 round magazine + 1 in chamber) 30.85 oz
Sight radius (rear sight to back of front sight) 4.75 inches

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here are some measurements I took last night of my 9mm Colt Defender:
Frame width (@ dustcover) .77 inches
Frame width (@ slide) .93 inches
Weight (no magazine) 25.05 oz
Weight (8 round magazine + 1 in chamber) 30.85 oz
Sight radius (rear sight to back of front sight) 4.75 inches
Safearm,

Thanks for your time and info.

Jim

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Looks like the Defender is a good bit larger and heavier than the Sig 938.

Makes me again wonder why Colt has not made the Mustang in 9mm?
Sig sells every 938 they make showing that there is a strong CC market for a 9 in an all metal, small, light version.

I sure would like to see a side by side photo, like below, of the full size 1911, Commander, Officer's, Defender/Agent, Sig 938, and Mustang.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.