Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Sig P229 Legion ? If so what are your thoughts and experiences..

I have seen all the You Tuber videos and read articles....Thought I try and get some other opinions...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Kid, can’t speak to the 229 but I do own a 226 Legion in.40 S&W. It’s one of my favorite semi autos. Accurate, reliable, and well put together.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I too have the 226 Legion but mine is in 9mm. I chose the SAO model, and it is my favorite semi auto.
Fit & finish are top notch. My Legion is a tac driver, and it is extremely reliable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
All of the above are true, but my experience is a bit different. One, it has a "high" bore line in relation to your hand, and thus more movement under recoil, which may or may not make a difference to you. Second, I shoot with "thumbs forward", ie. parallel to each other, and I have more than once had the pistol "decocked" under recoil by my thumb position. I've also had the Single Action Only version, and here by thumb rides the slide catch, resulting in it not functioning properly.

This takes nothing from the accuracy or reliability of the pistol, but does speak to the shooter's adaptation to it.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the things I have learned from Handling the New Legions is the Low Profile controls on the pistol and the slight Beavertail design allowing the hand to ride higher on the pistol. Having said that, I don't know if I will go as far to say that the gun would replace my Colt .38 Super or Colt Gold Cup or even my Colt Model 01918. I have not fired mine as of yet, don't know if I will, as I got it as a trade from a Dealer, (who wanted mine Marlin 1894 Century Limited that has seen better years), in the worst way. I have fired my friends P229 Legion and again today in a comparison test. I did not any encounter malfunctions or nor did any of the controls cause malfunctions. I do like the shorter overall length of the 229 and 15 rounds of 9mm seem convenient for the spray and pray moments. Jury still out, if I'm going to keep or move down the line..I do love my Colt Semi Autos though...

·
Registered
9,641 Posts
Well Kid...No help here either.

I also own a SIG P226...made in West Germany in 1988.

Carried it as my duty weapon for 8 years. Accurate and dependable...

The old gal is a little worn looking on the outside...but inside, where it counts...she still has what it takes !!

·
Registered
537 Posts
My son has one and I get to shoot it on occasion. From my standpoint I can hit the target with it quite well, it just fits my hand and the ergonomics work. It's also a very nice quality gun, a feature that is important to me.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I carried a standard P229 in .40 for many years on duty, it had combat sights, I loved that pistol, accurate and never had a malfunction. I have sold a couple of the Legions and customers have been very happy with the pistol. I have not fired a Legion, but put thousands of rounds down range with my duty 229 when I went to firearms school and have zero complaints. I still own it to this day, the only thing I added to mine was a Crimson Trace grip when I was still patrolling. I would say can't go wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts