Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there were 2500 Marshalls made total but am curious how many were made in 2"?

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
I can not answer your question, but now that means I am on a search for another Snubby. :bang_wall: Do you have a picture of 2" Marshall? Will it ever end?

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good sign that you didn't even know they existed! I will try to get a photo uploaded.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
I don't know anything about the Marshall, but I know a guy that has the one (2 inch Marshall) Colt kept in the archives when they sold the collection. Next time I see him, I will try to remember to ask him if the letter states anything about production numbers on them, but I doubt it does...

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
I have never seen a Colt letter that mentioned how many of a particular model were made, and the letter on my 2-inch Marshal does not state the production numbers.

My guess as to how many 2-inch Marshals were made has been 10%, which would be about 250. That may be low, since they are seen from time to time. I bought the first one I ever saw. Here is one of only two or three pictures of guns that I have ever taken:

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
I have saw Colt letters on the 8 inch Nickel Python target .38 special state 251 produced which is where everyone gets that number. I thought maybe the archive letter may have more info, they are a little different. One archive letter this same guy has I saw for a stainless 6 inch Python states it was kept by the archives as a sample item and may not be in working order and therefor should not be fired. My wording is not exact, but close... I worked the action and it was fine, actually like new condition. He had this one up for sell, but I didn't buy it because there just wasnt anything interesting about it other than that.

·
Premium Member
6,468 Posts
Gary Peer, in his excellant book on Colt Snubnose Revolvers, references an article in "The Rampant Colt" that puts the number at between 500-600.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
I have never seen a Colt letter that mentioned how many of a particular model were made, and the letter on my 2-inch Marshal does not state the production numbers.

My guess as to how many 2-inch Marshals were made has been 10%, which would be about 250. That may be low, since they are seen from time to time. I bought the first one I ever saw. Here is one of only two or three pictures of guns that I have ever taken:

]

Wow! That's fantastic, Gary. I almost fell out of my chair. I don't believe I've ever seen you post a picture of one of your guns before. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
The barrel says "Marshall" :)
Really? I want to see that. Please post a picture. Every Marshal I have seen has the barrel stamped "Marshal."

Wait, I think I know the explanation! The 2-inch barrel is not long enough for the second "L," so Colt just left it off altogether on all Marshal revolvers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts