Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here and am planning on going to an auction next week and they have a pistol up for auction. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it is and more importantly what it may be worth so I know how to bid? I think it is a Colt Python 357 magnum. thanks..

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Welcome to the forum.Without more and better photos it's hard to determine the overall condition.From what you have provided the best I can do is ballpark.$1000/1500 There's a lot more that needs to be known than looks.Looks ain't everything.It can look good and be a mechanical nightmare.D*

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.. could you tell me what to look for mechanicaly? I will have a little time to examine the gun before the auction starts...

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
rispoli, welcome to Coltforum.

The experts will be along shortly to respond to your inquiries. If you post a link to the auction, and the auction has good photos, our members can help you a lot better. I think it unlikely that our members would see the link, then outbid you, but I could not promise that (once in a while a bad egg slips into Coltforum for a short while.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Collects, thanks for the response. The photo was from the action site, and they only had two. The one I posted was the best. I sent them a message asking formore info, such as serial number, more photos, etc.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Will you be able to handle the gun before auction otherwise you can't check the timing or bore or cylinder play.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bigi, I will be able to handle the gun before the auction, but I am not sure how to check the timing or bore or cylinder play? any info would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
At the top of this forum is a sticky thread, "most useful posts" I think is the name. It will tell you how check the old Colt revolvers and the Python. I would advise doing more research before buying, not that I always did it myself. Take more money to the auction.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Rispoli

I'd like to welcome you to the forum.
Pythons are going for a lot of money these days. I'd guess it would bring at least $1000 if it's mechanicaly sound.
Good luck on your search for a Colt.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
being a live auction and a python involved i think you will see that puppy go for well over 1800 bucks.
please report back with a final price.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I agree with eagleeye. That is a 4in stainless I think and a rough one will bring 1200 no way you will get that in an auction for a 1000. I would be willing to bet that auction sickness will take over you will hear python being murmured in the crowd glazed looks and people will throw in there billfolds. I think 1800-2000. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
gruesome,If the stocks are original then the gun has a nickel finish.The stocks are second gens.they were changed befor stainless was offered.D*

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
You are correct daryl those are 2nd gen stocks. I will still stand behind the post,so to speak, about how this will go at auction. DA colts especially pythons are smoking hot right now. I love them. It will go high.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've seen quite a few Pythons over the past year at auctions in all different barrel lenghts, stocks, finish and etc. Most have sold for well north of $1500. Only saw one with a final bid of slightly under 1K and it had a missing rear sight. If you really want one, better be prepared to spend upwards to +2K. Good luck.
John

·
Registered
268 Posts
Dedicated firearms auctions are typically over priced for most buyers unless you are dealing with unique premium products. Most people get caught up in the bidding fever and over pay. It is best to establish good raport with trusted dealers and collectors and let them know what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay. Visiting store's used sections is also good.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Dedicated firearms auctions are typically over priced for most buyers unless you are dealing with unique premium products. Most people get caught up in the bidding fever and over pay. It is best to establish good raport with trusted dealers and collectors and let them know what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay. Visiting store's used sections is also good.
Excellent advice. I have gotten only one revolver from an auction and that was a Webley Mk VI. I went the auction route because I had wanted one for many years and had little to no luck finding one for sale. The auction was my best opportunity. I paid $570.00 when it was all said and done (auction fees, sales tax). But that was five years ago and I haven't found a Mk VI for sale since. Haven't found one for sale in the flesh so to speak. I have found a couple on the Internet. I don't buy firearms off of the Internet. I'm a Dinosaur in that respect.

However with that one exception I avoid gun auctions. Prices get stupidly high.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts