1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wow, Keystone, that is one beautiful pistol. The engraving is perfect and only 2 factory engraved. Not much use in requesting a price, rather not know.

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
This one has been floating around Melbourne for a long time, described I think as excellent but no box or papers. They are asking around $2400. I have no idea of values but think it may be a bit high?

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
Since a Camp Perry Colt is not a revolver, perhaps it should not be in this section. :confused: I will let Mitch figure that one out!

There has been one up on GunBroker recently that I think is still up. Our own thecoltguy probably has the world's best collection of Camp Perry pistols. There are some threads that show some of his collection of Camp Perry pistols. Well worth hunting up.

Tranter45 wonders if $2400 is too much for a Camp Perry. As rare as these pistols are, especially the 8-inch models, the value should be higher, but apparently the demand just is not there to boost the value to where one would think it would be.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
This one has been floating around Melbourne for a long time, described I think as excellent but no box or papers. They are asking around $2400. I have no idea of values but think it may be a bit high?
If its original finish, original 8 inch, that is a very good buy imo. The grips should be numbered to the gun on the inside. I have an all original 8 inch about 98%, and I wouldnt even begin to consider anything under 3000 but its not for sell anyway. That one looks really nice from what I can tell. I havent watched gunbroker in awhile, but the last factory original 8 inch I saw sold was about 94-95% and it brought right around $2900. It did have a factory letter ($75), but the letter was a typical one, nothing special in it. The 8 inch was not introduced until later, in 1934. I think all original factory 8 inchers should be in the 2000+ serial number range, unless a rare special order. One of our Members as mentioned before, thecoltguy, is probably the most knowledgeable Person ON THE PLANET on these guns. According to him of the 2525 made, ONLY 375 were 8 inchers. Wait, I just looked at mine, and I am about positive that is a 10 incher there, not an 8 incher. I thought Judge said it was an 8, but I believe I just misinterpreted his post. I think the 10 inchers are about 25%-30% less in price than the 8's. Still a good price imo IF its an original finish high condition gun. They are VERY SELDOM seen because thecoltguy owns most of them lol :)...

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Here is my 8 incher

Here's mine, SN#22XX, 1936 (I'm not a very good picture taker:eek:):

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Starting pistol
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Airsoft gun

2nd pic is it with its close cousin, my 6 inch 1938 Officer's Model 22. If you are wondering why the barrels look about the same length, the barrel on the Camp Perry goes virtually all the way through the block. So the barrel is measured all the way back to basically where the cylinder latch locks it in. I'm about to go to sleep in the chair so that's my "very simple" explanation of it and about the best I can manage right now lol.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Found the price list of the guy in Melbourne. Confirmed 10 inch - described as circa 1927, excellent condition, $2400 - no further details. Sent him as email to see if he is negotiable. Too far away for Thecoltguy to snaffle it. ;)

Edit: he lists serial number as 220.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The 10 in Camp Perry guns are sometimes misadvertised as 8 in because of the way the barrel length is measured. If measured from the front of the breech block (the part that sorta looks like a flat cylinder) a 10 in. barrel will measure about 8 and 1/4 in. to the muzzle. The last 10 in. gun I bought was presented as "8 in" but was really the more common 10 in. The price was right so I gave up trying to explain to the seller and just bought it as an "8 in"....:)
I often wonder how accurate the total production numbers are because they just don't seem to be as scarce as other guns with similar production numbers. I have two 10 in and one 8 in in my collection and see others up for sale quite often. Perhaps I'm just fortunate enough to live among a concentrated population of Camp Perry guns...The Camp Perry range and annual shooting event is in Ohio...maybe they stayed close to "home" and that explains it...:D

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I know of one at a local shop. I think its a 10". Should I go look at it more?????????? They are asking $1000
If its functional with a good bore and doesnt look like a dug up relic lol, I would buy it!!! Of course I wouldnt mind to have one to shoot. I never could bring myself to shoot mine. I actually wonder if it was ever fired after the factory (which is really irrelevent since its not a 100% gun), I think it just got a few small spots from sitting so many years. It show absolutely no wear from use inside or out... I wanted to shoot it so bad but just couldnt ever bring myself to.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I often wonder how accurate the total production numbers are because they just don't seem to be as scarce as other guns with similar production numbers. I have two 10 in and one 8 in in my collection and see others up for sale quite often. Perhaps I'm just fortunate enough to live among a concentrated population of Camp Perry guns...The Camp Perry range and annual shooting event is in Ohio...maybe they stayed close to "home" and that explains it...:D
Unless you've seen the serial numbers above 2525, then they would have to be correct imo. Maybe they do stay close to home :) because in about 15 years of going to gun shows, gun shops, etc, I have seen exactly one-my 8 inch. The owner of this gun was a CCA Lifetime member since about the late 70's/early80's and he said he owned one of each for years. He said he had sold the 10 incher a couple years earlier (which I never got to see of course) since it wasnt anywhere near the condition of this one. He then decided to finally let this one go. He told me it was a 99%/+ gun (which didnt matter because I bought it in person), but in all actuality its about 98%. Everybody sees it a little different, plus when everyone gets older, the eyes arent as good as they once were.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
To comment on the post above. Tranter45's picture of the Camp Perry is indeed a 10". You can always tell by the long slender barrel as compared to the 8" model that had a more fat looking barrel. As mentioned these are very often incorrectly advertised as many sellers do not measure the barrel correctly. It does indeed run all the way through the breech block. Here are a few pictures showing the Camp Perry:

Our display back in 2007:

This Camp Perry pistol was used by the United States pistol team in 1920 to win three Gold Metals and a Silver Medal at the 1920 Olympics in Antwerp, Belgium. It is one of the early experimental Camp Perry's and serial number 34. The gun was loaned by Colt to Major O.F. Snyder who was the Captain of the Olympic Shooting Team:

This Camp Perry has British proof marks and was shipped to London, England in April 1927 in a six gun shipment:

The was Colt's broadside release in 1926 advertising the new Camp Perry pistol:

This ad came out in the January 1934 issue of the American Rifleman showing Colt's new 8" model Cam Perry pistol:

A few of our Camp Perry's:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now we know where they all are. Thanks everyone for the information and pictures. This is really a unique pistol, that I am quickly falling in love with. The itch is back.......darn!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I have two, both from 1927.

big_gus, Don't be afraid to shoot it, unless like me, you have it's competition and discover that you can shoot your S&W better than your Colt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.