Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a good discussion (argument) on the 1911 forum about whether Colt really builds their own components or just buys parts from other suppliers and assembles them.

The final word was posted by Mark1648 who is Colt's director of production.

Here's his answer to the question:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
So it's the truth you want.......

All of our forgings for all products are done at a forging house about 30 min. from the plant.
All of the 1911 style forged parts are completely machined in-house.
We receive frame and backstrap forgings for the single action then send them out to be approx. 90% machined, parts are returned to Colt to be finished, polished, color-case / blued, built, test fired then shipped.
The cylinder, and barrel for the SAA have always been fully fabricated in the plant from bar stock. The outside machining was at one time done in Fla. but no more, now done a little closer to home.

·
Administrator
7,302 Posts
I was following that thread . I'm glad Mark chimed in to set things straight .

Thanks dfw

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
They still build 'em & they're still Colts, the company just doesn't make anywhere near as many of their own parts as they used to.
Denis

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's all a conspiracy with dfariswheel and Mark as the ring-leaders. It's common knowledge that Colt, Ruger, and Smith have combined and are now having their guns made by the cottage industries in Pakistan. That explains why you see Smiths and Rugers with Python barrels, Colt autos with Smith sights, etc.

dfariswheel is really Kuhanhausen (sp) in semi-retirement. He posts here and on other forums just to keep his hand in and to confuse us.

John

PS: I'm soory, dfariswheel. The truth had to come out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm tired of all these lies told about me, and trying to maintain my privacy.

I'm NOT Kuhnhausen.....I'm Elvis. (Where do you think I got all those nice TV shooting guns).
By the way, for sets over 25 inches, I recommend the .357 Python.
For 19 inch sets, the .22 Diamondback is good, and for the little 12 inch models, the Detective Special works well for the shorter ranges.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I bow to your superior experience.
(Would a Redhawk do in a pinch as a substitute? I don't have an Anaconda.)
Denis

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Well, I....had an Anaconda once for about two hours, does that help? (Was supposed to be a .45, turned out to be a .44, didn't even make it home.)
If it'd turned out to be what I'd asked for, I think I'd still have it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Denis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts