Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at this colt online and the numbers look faint on the TG but it doesnt look like a refinish overall. Opinions?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
It's kinda hard for anyone else to say what it might look like overall, since we have only the one photo to look at here. Do you have other photos of it, or a link to the sale?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Looks good to me. Because the TG stamping surface isn’t flat like the frame those stampings never look as uniform as frame or bottom of the grip frame stampings. If they did look perfectly uniform I might be a little suspicious.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Agreed. Based on the TWO photographs provided, it looks honest. But more photographs could sway this one way or the other. Please provide more photographs, especially of barrel markings and patent dates and we also might be able to provide a value. What caliber is it and is it being offered to yo and, if so, at what price?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I own a few SAA's in that 2xxxxx SN range and the person who stamped the SN's on some of mine looks like he did them on a Monday morning after a tough weekend.
I have a 1905 in that same range, and they goofed and put a "1" as the first digit in all three places and very obviously and heavily overstamped the "1" with a "2" to correct it on all three pieces. I know it is a mistake, as it would be a BP framed gun if it started with a "1" and it obviously isn't

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
I am looking at this colt online and the numbers look faint on the TG but it doesnt look like a refinish overall. Opinions? View attachment 745475
It looks fine to me. Especially on the BS and TG, the Colt polishers often "got into the numbers", causing loss of detail in those SN's. Why? There was probably a small blemish (dent or scratch) nearby, and they went after the blemish.

Reactions: LanceW

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
It's kinda hard for anyone else to say what it might look like overall, since we have only the one photo to look at here. Do you have other photos of it, or a link to the sale?
I am looking at this colt online and the numbers look faint on the TG but it doesnt look like a refinish overall. Opinions? View attachment 745475
Here is a long flute SAA that was absolutely not reblued. Notice that the Colt polisher "took out" half of the zero (0) on the TG, in probably trying to remove a small dent nearby. Frame numbers are usually perfect, but that is a nice flat surface too, and easy to stamp.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,878 Posts
I have a 1905 in that same range, and they goofed and put a "1" as the first digit in all three places and very obviously and heavily overstamped the "1" with a "2" to correct it on all three pieces. I know it is a mistake, as it would be a BP framed gun if it started with a "1" and it obviously isn't
LanceW, That reminds me of one I have. #271236 was first stamped 171236 on frame, BS, and TG. But Colt caught the error and corrected all three places with over-strikes. That gun was shipped Oct 11, 1905. Yep, it looks like 1905 was a bad year at Colt's!

·
Registered
452 Posts
LanceW, That reminds me of one I have. #271236 was first stamped 171236 on frame, BS, and TG. But Colt caught the error and corrected all three places with over-strikes. That gun was shipped Oct 11, 1905. Yep, it looks like 1905 was a bad year at Colt's!
Looked mine up, it is 271288 - they were sitting at Colt being made about the same time and the same goof was done on both likely by the same person. All three were initially stamped "1" and have the overstamp. Mine is 32-20 with a 7-1/2 " barrel, I have not had it lettered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts