Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to the local Gun Show.

Amazingly, I found four different old Guns which were in really nice condition, very reasonably prices, and, which I REALLY wanted to buy and own and shoot.

However, I had only enough Money on hand, for one of them.

All four were between $250.00 and $400.00, with three of them pushing the 400 mark. I had like $425.00 far as what I could spare for now.

I seldom find anything at the Local Gun shows which appeals to me, let alone, which appeals to be in a big way AND is priced reasonably and is in nice condition to boot!

So, I stewed, brooded, paced outside and smoked Cigaretes, and, the Show was about to close anyway, so, I went home....thinking "Okay, I will brood, sleep on it, and come back tomorrow and get which-ever one it is."

Today, when I was going to go back to the Gun Show and get which-ever one it was to be...I just got stuck and could not make up my mind, and, I ended up procrastinating and not going back at all, where, I thought to myself "Next Gun Show is early August...and, well, maybe the same sellers will be there, with the same Guns, and, I can make up my mind then...if...IF..any of them in fact are still in the offing."

Lol...

Ohhhh, eeeeeesh!

Anyone else do lame-brain things like this?

I can not believe I did that!

Now I feel all sorry and sullen that I did not get one...problem is, which one?

I still can not make up my mind, between the four of them!

Oye...

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If any one of the four had been all I found at the Show, I would have sprung to it and peeled off the Bills.

They were -

A just about Minty 'ASTRA' Model 300 in .32 ACP.

A high condition ( and very, very seldom seen ) 'STAR' Model SI in .32 ACP ( looks like a very small m1911 Colt ) which was probably from the 1940s.

A Remington Bolt Action, 30-'06 Sporting Rifle dating to the 1930s, in fine original shape, and lovely Checkering, good Bore, no erosion, low mileage, looked hardly ever carried and seldom shot. No dents or scrapes, original un-messed with Steel Checkered Butt Plate having the Remington Logo with a nice curve to it.

And, lastly...an Argentine 'Mauser' Model 1909 Engineers Carbine with that Muzzle end, where the Barrel only sticks out a tiny bit from the Stock. Seemed to be all matching and low mileage and all round nice...mild carry dents and ligt old small scrapes and so on, but nothing to bother me Eye.

Believe me, I REALLY thought hard about getting all four, and messing up my whole Bill Paying schedule something terrible, and I almost did that, and, now, I am sorry I did not do that.

Money is a little short right now, and I have lots of nasty Bills coming up, and, I Chickened out on taking the risk I could still pull through, if buying all four. Clearly though, buying all four would have been the right thing to do, if I had done it.

Oh well, such is Life sometimes!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oyeboten,

It sounds to me like you did the responsible and adult thing. With big bills on horizon, you chose wisely to me.

How unfortunate. But, how appropriate.

I have more scenarios like kayzap stated.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Been there done that. Particularly when the kids were younger. And further, I have made both the right and wrong decisions. Spent the money when I could not afford to, and kept it in my pocket when I could have cut a little loose. It got easier when I could take the kids to the shows with me. I then could "justify" spending when it was for "them". Fortunately I have 5 kids, 4 boys and a daughter that is a better "natural" shot than any of us. All of them went into military aviation as pilots. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. And thank the lord they all got appointments to their respective service academies. I was happy, mom not so much, but I had a defense, both she and I had military careers, me as an Army Aviator and her as Military Police CID-retired as CWO5 Special Agent. We all go "gun show stalking" when time pesents itself. I have a self imposed (and agreed upon) limit on the number of guns I may own at one time, but bless her heart she is kind of liberal. I have a "grace period" within which I may buy a new gun, and get rid of another one. Having the 5 kids makes it easier as they can "hold" a gun for me while I get what is called "the bunker" back into shape(read room) for another gun.
GenerallyI have regretted the deals I have passed up, rather more than the ones I made. The kid who rarely misses a gun show when she is home is daughter(she flys big fast jets off big boats). She can always find a reason for another handgun-to add to her survival vest-"you don't want me to get captured and sold into slavery do you?" is the way she manipulates mom, she does not have to shuck and jive me much. Currently hanging off her survival vest is a Sig 228 (M11) (replaced her M9), with several high cap mags in pouches sewed in by her plane captain (crew chief we use to call them). That is augumented by one of my S&W 940s, and more recently while she was looking for a lightweight 9mm Colt Defender, she found a Star Model B which is a remarkabley well engineered and accurate handgun. Every now and then mom will tell her "don't encourage him" meaning me. Some of the best times we have had is going to gun shows, even if we buy nothing, all the kids make notes on what they will buy when the time (money) is right.
When we all show up at a local gun show, or even half the family, the word goes out, "they're here". We usually leave with the most unusual things. Then straight back to the homestead to try em out. My only rule is no AKs, spent too much time on the business end of em, yeah I know reliable, simple, accurate enough and will fire after being dunked in wet cement, don't care. Just the old man being cranky, and they all put up with me good naturedly, more or less.
And to think it all started when we did not have enough money to do anything but go to a gun show and have a hot dog each! Wife got pissed when I took the 2 oldest boys one Saturday when I was supposed to take them to the movies, swore them to secrecy, but the bags full of ammo and magazines/books kind of gave us away. I would not say that gun shows made a success of our famly, but they sure did not hurt any. I will hate to see the passing of gun shows if the libtards get their way, they were truly a family event, both when the kids ere young, and even more so now when they are old enough to argue successfully with the old man. Last month I left the house with 9 year old twins, boy & girl, last thing I heard from grandma was "no damn gunshows", yeah right, the pickup is trained to sniff them out now. Brought them home, each with a new "old" Marlin 22LR bolt repeater. I got moist eyes when son told then that they had the best grandpa in the world, so they had better treat him right. I am even prouder to say that gun safety is an absolute in grandpas house, having a retired CWO5 for grandma dosen't hurt either. Damn I'm a lucky guy.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
A natural human trait. I'm usually pretty decisive in my purchases but recently had one of your 'moments'.

I just finished shooting at a local indoor range. Generally I'll look through their cases before going downstairs to shoot but this time I hadn't looked until after my session was through. As I was leaving I spotted a nicely used nickel Colt Lawman and a pristine but pre-owned Colt Trooper side by side. I remarked that it was the first time in a long time that I've seen a Colt in their inventory. Prices were reasonable but I left. By the time I got home I decided that I should have bought them. Without getting out of the vehicle I returned back to the store to find them missing.

The dealer told me that a gentleman standing next to me overheard what I said and bought both as I left. Next time, he said, put them on layaway until you decide. Arrgghh, good advice!

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
The majority of my gun buying was from the 1960s to the 1980s. I have a nice collection and have only bought a couple guns in the last 25 years. I am 72 years old. I probley bought and sold several hundred nice guns in those years. Okay. Now I am here to tell you my biggest mistake back then was passing up guns for the sake of not wanting to part with maybe another $20s! Now of course that $20s back then might be like $80s now. But still we are talking on guns like sharps, colt saa`s, new sevices etc where today those guns probley went up close to 8X or so what they were back then! I was the same with my first house. I bought a $12,500 shack where friends of mine on my same job and wages bit the bullet and bought a exspensive $45,000 house (I thought far above their means). Later they sold them for $350,000 and I gave away my $40,000 house!

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I had it to do over again, I would have made deals on all four, drove home, gut out some more dough, gone back, payed up, and went home...where, very soon, I would sell some other things to re-coup the dough.

Somehow my Thoughts were muddled and I did not pause to review and elect that entirely sensible and practical option, which would have solved the dilemma for me.

Generally I do not even find one old Gun which is priced reasonably and is in good or better condition, and is one I would want to have and own and shoot...so, finding one, then another, then another, then another, which were, kind of threw me!

My whole reason for going in the first place ( or I would not have gone at all ) was to go look, in case either or both of the two old Guns which were stolen from me in the Burglary June 13th, might happen to just be laying on someone's Table. ( They were not ).

Well, the old Remington Rifle and the just-about-minty ASTRA 300 seem to be the ones haunting me most...with the STAR SI a 'Nose' behind...Lol...

I wish I could somehow feel the same enthusiasm and esprit and motivation about all the ( easily two Months worth of ) chores on my to-do List, that I feel about old Guns!

Chores await...and, I must be their Servant now...and get a few of them crossed off the List...( sigh...)

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
"He who hesitates is lost." Don't know who originated this quote, but I've found it to be true.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My problem whit Gun Shows now is ...... the line was so long waiting to get in, that even if we parked far away in a Home Depot parking lot and took the free shuttle to the door, we'd still have to wait in line and pay the 12 bucks to get in, only to see trinckets over priced. I'm actually happy buying firearms on the Colt Classified forum.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
"He who hesitates is lost." Don't know who originated this quote, but I've found it to be true.

Actually, I hesitated BECAUSE I was 'lost'...

One thing anyway, we can all be glad I was not an Air Traffic Controller that day...( "Oh man, Uhhh, four Jumbo Jets full of Passengers...okay, Uhhh, coming in on converging trajectories...they all want to Land now, Uhhhh, I think I will go outside and have a Cigarette and think about this a while...or go home and sleep on it! See what tomorrow brings!" )

Ohhhh, golly...

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
i do it all the time. Especially the leaving with the intention of returning the next day. It usually doesn't happen.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Nope ! I do not do that anymore. I did years ago but no more. My rule of Thumb now is "If I like it, I must want it--so I buy it". I just missed to many good deals waiting . Once I hesitated on a Colt 1st gen at a Gun Show and as soon as I laid it down to think about it, the Guy standing next to me BOUGHT IT. Lesson Learned !!!!!!!

Ronin

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nope ! I do not do that anymore. I did years ago but no more. My rule of Thumb now is "If I like it, I must want it--so I buy it". I just missed to many good deals waiting . Once I hesitated on a Colt 1st gen at a Gun Show and as soon as I laid it down to think about it, the Guy standing next to me BOUGHT IT. Lesson Learned !!!!!!!

Ronin

I know what you mean..!

When I am decisive - once picking up the Gun I am asking about...I do NOT set it back 'down' again...I examine the Gun, make my decision, and I say "Okay, I am buying this" and I hand the Gun TO the Seller to hold a moment, in order to have my Hands free, to produce the Money.

Otherwise yes! - If one set it down, someone standing behind or to the side, can, may or will reach over, pick it up, and buy it right from under one's proverbial Nose, even AS one is reaching for one's Wallet or Fold of Money.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Guilty of all the above. Looking back, some of the deals missed nearly bring tears. My worst gun show fault is laying it back on the table, intending to "think about it" and come back later...and we all know how that goes....:) Several times, returning within minutes, to find it gone.

·
Registered
278 Posts
... Fortunately I have 5 kids, 4 boys and a daughter that is a better "natural" shot than any of us. All of them went into military aviation as pilots. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. And thank the lord they all got appointments to their respective service academies....I am even prouder to say that gun safety is an absolute in grandpas house, having a retired CWO5 for grandma dosen't hurt either. Damn I'm a lucky guy.
You sure are! Thanks for sharing your story, and for (all of your) service to our country.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts