Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This SAA .44-40 with a .44 spl. cylinder (made in 1992) have great feeling grips but they came with those horrendous bright gold medallions. I replaced them with some older more worn meds. They don't look much different in this light but they are. I darkened the wood a little. But I was thinking about putting a couple worn patina mercury dimes in these or other grips. Originality of the grips don't matter to me. but would these dimes, though larger, look stupid in your opinions? None of the dimes I have are rare ones.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I think the dimes would look great if they were more centered on the grip. They are too big to be that high up. I think they might look great centered over the screw....not certain that is possible.

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not "stupid," but too large for my taste--distracts from the beauty of the gun. Since it's your Colt, what do YOU want there?

(And here's "stupid"--The dime down at the trigger loop would look better since it is obviously the smaller of the two.)
The larger size concerned me, but because the dimes are so dull and show wear I think it balances out. If I found some deep dish meds. that show wear but no dings I'd go with those.

·
Registered
316 Posts
"(And here's "stupid"--The dime down at the trigger loop would look better since it is obviously the smaller of the two.)"
Ha, I guess that shows one perspective.

How about something altered?

dime.jpg

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I once owned a Enfield revolver with english coins in it. Supposedly it was taken off a kraut and it was thought he probably got it off a downed RAF pilot. Sounded good though. Almost forgot about that gun but this thread reminded me of it. I sold or traded it to my best friend. He`s passed. Anyway Bill and his wife Judy were north of Los Angeles riding their motorcycle and decided to take a walk in the boonies. Some guy quite a ways off yelled down to them, Bill says what do you want? The guy yells back, I got a gun on ya. I want the woman to take her cloths off! Bill had that Enfield on him, and shot at the guy and the guy ran off! This was about fifty years ago.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Truthfully, I've never been too keen on even the Colt metal medallion, gold, silver, or otherwise. When I was a kid in the 60's I set an old Mexican silver coin into the pistol grip of a Marlin 336C. I look at it now and I'm a little embarrassed.

This is the only medallion I find awesome:

MedallionOfNote.jpg

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
I'd rather have a pair of repro grips than medallions - but that's just 'me'.

Had I known you were looking, I'd've given you a set of two-piece walnuts without medallions from a nickeled SAA - dyed darker, they wouldn't've looked like the ones Colt must've made from pallets.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
I have seen a few grips inset with turquoise and silver. If done right in dark reddish wood grips I think they are fine but don't like them overdone with large ones. I once owned a 92 Winchester in .44 WCF that was made I think in 1902. It came off a Indian reservation in the Dakota`s. It was well used, almost a relic, had a cracked or busted wrist and wrapped with shrunken rawhide. The stock was adorned with a pattern of brass tacks. It was a wall hanger and was stolen with others when I was the victim of a big time burglary in 2003.
Check out these grips by David Yellowhorse. I have a nice buck knife he did. I would like his grips even more if they were toned down some. I own that buck folder knife five rows down.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...hs-adk-adk_sbnt&hspart=adk&hsimp=yhs-adk_sbnt

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd rather have a pair of repro grips than medallions - but that's just 'me'.

Had I known you were looking, I'd've given you a set of two-piece walnuts without medallions from a nickeled SAA - dyed darker, they wouldn't've looked like the ones Colt must've made from pallets.
When I hold this gun with these grips but put my thumb over the medallions, any medallions, then they look great. I wish Colt just left them plain during this period. I have a really nice plain wood pair John Gross here gave me, but they don't fit too well on this gun.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hardly stupid, but to me a dime looks out of place on a SAA. Aside from too large size, its just a silver $.10 piece no matter where on the stocks it is placed and raises the questions, why and who.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts