Colt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
Do mother of pearl grips look "too gay"?

Jeez, I dunno. (insert eye roll here) What about those gun belts and holsters with pretty flowers carved on them? Too gay? And cowboy boots...those made from exotic leathers and dyed in vivid colours like the pair shown below. Whooo-e-e-e! And lookit all them colored flowers and leaves and stuff! Ain't them purty? How gay is that?

And Patton's quote about mother of pearl grips. If I had a dollar for every time I saw that posted on gun forums, I'm confident I could buy myself a nice vintage 1911A1. Patton was a brilliant general at times, and he said a lot of stuff (some of which got him in trouble). But he either forgot or was ignorant of the fact that Colt and other major gun manufacturers often installed mother of pearl grips at the factory.

I'd be the last person to call Audie Murphy's Bisley Colt a "pimp's gun", even though it does have custom made mother of pearl grips. Oh, and by all accounts, Audie Murphy was not a pimp, nor was he gay. The gun came from Gary Cooper, by the way. Kinda don't think Cooper was a girly-man, either.

I don't know what "gayness" has to do with any of this stuff, but I reckon if someone looks hard enough and long enough, they can find some "gayness" in damn near anything.

Shoe Synthetic rubber Art Work boots Durango boot

Wood Shear Food Metal Fashion accessory

Air gun Trigger Revolver Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
11,408 Posts
Barring judgement on the "pearls" as an aesthetic look...the truth of the matter is will those stocks last through the punishment of a day at the range or hold up to hard use in the field...when "looks" don't count, when "looks" won't save your life !?

That's what matters...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Pearl looks great on an SAA. Some fake pearl I’ve seen looked almost real, some looked like partially stirred batter. If it makes you happy, then don’t worry what others think. Life is short, enjoy today!!!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
My opinion... I's YOUR gun, why would you care if others share your appreciation for your grips? If you like them, who cares what others think?

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
For me, I think of a gun as as a working tool, I am more interested in the history and their use. I never have been interested in engraving or fancy grips, also have a problem with nickeled ones even though I own a few.
Jim

·
Registered
165 Posts
Definitely the thread of the day. And the responses only make it better. A little change of pace for here. As for the grips, if it ain’t wood, stag or ivory it ain’t t for me. But if I could be a pimp in a New Orleans whorehouse I’d carry MOP all day long. N.O. pimp is def on my short list of dream jobs haha.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Thread drift..
When my daughter was in school for her first degree she worked as barista in a little coffee shop. I walked in one day and ordered a nice complicated drink from her. Then I asked her quietly if that made me gay. She looked me right in the eye and said “yes,yes dad that does make you gay!”
Her mom would have been horrified

21 - 40 of 71 Posts