Colt Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do mother of pearl grips look "too gay"?

Jeez, I dunno. (insert eye roll here) What about those gun belts and holsters with pretty flowers carved on them? Too gay? And cowboy boots...those made from exotic leathers and dyed in vivid colours like the pair shown below. Whooo-e-e-e! And lookit all them colored flowers and leaves and stuff! Ain't them purty? How gay is that?

And Patton's quote about mother of pearl grips. If I had a dollar for every time I saw that posted on gun forums, I'm confident I could buy myself a nice vintage 1911A1. Patton was a brilliant general at times, and he said a lot of stuff (some of which got him in trouble). But he either forgot or was ignorant of the fact that Colt and other major gun manufacturers often installed mother of pearl grips at the factory.

I'd be the last person to call Audie Murphy's Bisley Colt a "pimp's gun", even though it does have custom made mother of pearl grips. Oh, and by all accounts, Audie Murphy was not a pimp, nor was he gay. The gun came from Gary Cooper, by the way. Kinda don't think Cooper was a girly-man, either.

I don't know what "gayness" has to do with any of this stuff, but I reckon if someone looks hard enough and long enough, they can find some "gayness" in damn near anything.

View attachment 767201

View attachment 767204

View attachment 767200
Now that’s impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Do mother of pearl grips look "too gay"?

Jeez, I dunno. (insert eye roll here) What about those gun belts and holsters with pretty flowers carved on them? Too gay? And cowboy boots...those made from exotic leathers and dyed in vivid colours like the pair shown below. Whooo-e-e-e! And lookit all them colored flowers and leaves and stuff! Ain't them purty? How gay is that?

And Patton's quote about mother of pearl grips. If I had a dollar for every time I saw that posted on gun forums, I'm confident I could buy myself a nice vintage 1911A1. Patton was a brilliant general at times, and he said a lot of stuff (some of which got him in trouble). But he either forgot or was ignorant of the fact that Colt and other major gun manufacturers often installed mother of pearl grips at the factory.

I'd be the last person to call Audie Murphy's Bisley Colt a "pimp's gun", even though it does have custom made mother of pearl grips. Oh, and by all accounts, Audie Murphy was not a pimp, nor was he gay. The gun came from Gary Cooper, by the way. Kinda don't think Cooper was a girly-man, either.

I don't know what "gayness" has to do with any of this stuff, but I reckon if someone looks hard enough and long enough, they can find some "gayness" in damn near anything.

View attachment 767201

View attachment 767204

View attachment 767200
Damn nice boots !

·
Registered
487 Posts
I like pearls, or just about anything, with nickel but on a blued gun, jigged bone, ivory or wood. That super .38 looks awesome, I’d swap
Grips between them though ivory for shooting and Pearl for looking at on the .38.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a Kimber Ultra CDP and Colt SAA with aftermarket elephant ivory. Everything else is stock. As for pearl, Frank Hamer had pearl on at least one of his Colt Single Actions. I would not call him gay even standing at his grave. I might have to explain what it meant when I get to wherever he is.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
H&R Hammerless Bicycle Gun in .32 and introduced in 1899. A product of the Gay Nineties when someone yelling, “Mad Dog!,” was more than calling for a drink.

Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just fitted some faux pearl grips on my 45 Gold Cup.

I'm undecided whether they look better, or worse, than the original wooden grips.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 767166
View attachment 767167
Just fitted some faux pearl grips on my 45 Gold Cup.

I'm undecided whether they look better, or worse, than the original wooden grips.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 767166
View attachment 767167
On a GOLD CUP? On a 1911/1911A1, OK, a matter of taste. The GOLD CUP is a target pistol, worthy of target grips.

Nope, no, nada.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts