Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For sale and the owner lives a few hours away.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
It has a Springfield inspection mark "S17" on the receiver and the "United States Property" mark above the S/N looks a little wrong. (Like the wrong side) The S/N makes it a 1918. The upper slide looks like a correct WWI colt. I am sure others will give better advice.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I believe at serial 500,000 and on, the Property rollmark SHOULD be above the serial number.

The eagle head/number was from 300,000 to end of war. Also waiting for an expert!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yes paul45 is correct - the serial number was moved to this location around serial number 510,000. The eagle head inspection mark is also correct. The USP looks like it was covered up or scratched or something... this could hurt collectability if it is something actually in the metal. The barrel should be marked with an "H" and "P" sharing a common leg. (Meaning that the inspection stamp is one character.) There is almost no original finish remaining - which was actually quite common for the Black Army pistols... their finish tended to flake off.

Here are a couple pictures of one of my pistols that is about 40,000 pistols later for comparison... (It is all original.)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Here's my old Augusta Arsenal rehab'd beater and its serial number is "around 510000." The property roll mark is still located on the left side of the frame on it.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"H" and "P" with the common leg it is

Thanks for all the info, gentlemen. AND for the beautiful Colt pics!

Not yet sure yet if I'm going to own it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Good luck with it... it looks to be an honest gun!

bmcgilvray... I think your pistol is the latest one I have seen with the USP on the opposite (original) side!! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
But what is up with the USP marking? kind of looked like it was removed, then recut back into its original location.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I like it. my only question was the barrel markings, and that's been answered.
how much??

tom

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
seller's at $1400

I'm not :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts