Colt Forum banner

Double Eagle Government .45 - Range day

850 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Fuzzymcnab 
#1 ·
Picked up the above mention gun 2 months ago. Just got around to testing it. Like my first DE (Commander in .40) I just love shooting these guns. Discovered something interesting. The gun seriously prefers 185 grain bullets. The two best groups (by far) were both 185 grain factory loadings. One from Winchester one from Federal. I have only recently started testing 185 grainers in my .45's so I don't have any previous data with these loads. Is this common with Colt factory .45 barrels?
Thanks for the input,
fuzzy

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I have a GCNM 45 I bought last year. I tried about 5 different brands/types of ammo and it really liked the 185 gr SWC versus 230 gr RN. Best group with the 185 gr was about 1 inch. Based on this, I started reloading 185 gr SWC. However, I also reloaded some 230 gr RN for kicks and, lo and behold, they seem to shoot almost as good as the 185 gr SWC. My last grouping with the 230 gr RN reloads was just about 1 inch. So, my GCNM likes both as long as I appropriately manage the velocity of each type of bullet.

Still fine tuning my reloads and having a blast (literally) with the GCNM. They’re a lot of fun, enjoy!

#5 ·
The Double Eagle is another example of Colt having a good product that slack-jawed gunshop commandoes puked all over simply because it was a Colt. No one bats an eye if other gun companies improve a release over subsequent generations, but Colt is rarely given that chance it would seem.

#6 ·
Gun store commandos do love to hate on Colt for some reason. I get some of it...dropping the AR-15 out of political correctness some years back before bringing it back...the smart gun fiasco when trying to curry government favor...some questionable management and marketing decisions. It doesn't seem to make sense in some ways...many of the same people dumped on S&W when their parent company at the time grabbed their ankles for the Clinton Administration but all seems to have been forgiven since.

One would hope and expect everyone to hope for Colt and all gun companies be successful in a free market. As the adage goes...we need to hang together or we shall surely all hang separately.

#8 ·
I came across a Commander sized one for "Not much money at all."

Took it to the club the first time and really enjoyed shooting it. Second time was for a bowling pin shoot which I won. More luck than skill but this puppy is going on my CCW.

Really an underrated pistol.

#9 ·
Great stories guys. As far as the Colt detractors go, I wish they would replace distain with frustration. I have been frustrated with Colt management decisions since the '80s. However, I love the guns. It's OK to feel both ways.
Snidely, I agree whole heartedly. It is in our best interest to support the gun companies and sellers to the best of our ability. Of course a couple of sellers have completely turned their backs on shooters, and they deserve them same in response.
I also try extra hard to support my little local gun shops, even if it means I have to pay more.
All that aside, may your Double Eagles treat you well for years to come.
Blessings to you and yours, fuzzy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.