Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearly spilled my drink when I came across her.

G A auction

Not sure if it was the price, or the gun itself. Love to complete the .22 series, but not at that price.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Price is kinda high! Almost outta sight! I have been looking for Diamondbacks in our area and have found none so far. Have found some snubby Pythons though. One important thing we have to realize is that there are a bunch of folks out there who have lottsa coin, and they will pay "whatever" in the bat of an eye if its something they really want. Someone is testing the waters, and it may well sell at that price. No harm in trying, I guess. Chou, Robba

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've been watching Colt's on GunsAmerica for almost two years now. This guy is a seller I consider to be a rip-off artist. Yea, people might have deep pockets and not care, or they are just ignorant and get taken. There should be a "boycott Bob" movement to make buyers aware.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Oh yea, he may be way off base by about two thousand, but if he holds on to it for a while, he won't be.
Did you all see the nickel version of that gun recently go for $4000.
Buyers are setting the market.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I think - no - I know for sure that my lady will be needing exactly 5 minutes to convince me in not to spend that kind of money for just one gun. 4 minutes 58 seconds of which she needs to finish a histerycal laughter and to 2 seconds to say "no". And I can't say I blame her.

But as long there are people outthere who have more money then braincells, auctions like these will be seen more and more. It takes only one to convince the seller that the price was right!

I know that these kinds of DB-s are rare even in the U.S. but this is ridiculous! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts
Found a 2" Diamondback in a gun shop today. Someone had hard chromed it, and plated the trigger, and hammer with gold plate. I almost screamed! Whatever shape that gun was in before they screwed with it, it was more valuable untouched. Yuck! Robba

·
Registered
794 Posts
I can't believe the prices! The last 4 or 5 Boa's on GB have all gone for over $3000! And to think there is a member here on this forum who no more that a few months back bought a PAIR for $1200! Now that was a smoking good deal!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Somewhere in a gun or pawn shop in this country there is one of every revolver I want to buy at a fair price! Its up to me to find them. Florida is famous for retirees coming down, and trading their one or more vintage revolvers for a night stand gun. Or they don't want the grandkids to get ahold of their guns so they sell them for a song to a gun or pawn shop. Quite often the shop guys just don't know the full story on the gun, and price it right out of a two year old book. Case in point, the NIB nickel Viper for $550. we bought yesterday.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Blue book price for the Boa has been useless for a long time. The "Snake Set" collectors have driven them through the roof, and the Viper is slowly(?) beginning to follow.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
OB is correct. The Blue Book is backward looking pricing and is NOT current to this weeks selling prices. That's why I'm a believer that you go to the auction sights and see what a item has recently sold for. THAT's the market.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The question about the BOA blue book value was a mild attempt at sarcasm. I know all too well the prices are being set by uneducated buyers. A big part of the reason for this is the fairly new popularity of gun sales on the internet creating the ability to reach a much larger market. I guess everything has it's good and bad points (meaning the internet in general).

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Not sure I agree with the part about uneducated buyers setting the market. They are educated well enough to know their the chances of snagging a Boa are very slim, at best, or they wouldn't be passing out the big bucks for them so easily....IF, in fact they actually are passing out the big bucks. I have heard of only one legitimate sale of a Boa that went for slightly over three grand, but checkout the other Boa thread concerning the GB listings.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
That is an amazing price on that Diamondback. I don't think the future has caught up with Bob yet on his pricing. Bob won't get $3K from me for a 2.5" Diamondback. Last one I bought I paid $400 for it. (Yeah, it was a steal at the time.) 3K sure does seem high? I'm always on the lookout for the Boa model. It doesn't fit in my collection very well, but I would pick one up if it were a "steal".

·
Registered
778 Posts
There's no thrill in my humble opinion in paying 3 grand for a Boa or a diamondback. The thrill for me is going into a shop, and seeing a fairly rare revolver laying there at an affordable price. Takes my breath away! There is a lot of them left in the small cities, and boonies, and the fun for me is in the hunt!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Robba: "Takes my breath away." That is a great description to the feeling I get when I see a gun that I have been looking for (condition, etc.) and it is priced fairly. Years ago, I was at a Louisville KY show and one dealer (well known) had something like 10 almost new Colt 22 revolvers and pistols lying there for the taking and the pricing was fair. It really did take my breath away and I believe that I eventually bought something like five of them. I actually got light headed. One of the "natural highs" of life!

Yes, agree that for the most part you can throw money at developing a significant Colt collection, but there just aren't any memories attached to building a collection like that. Yes, the thrill of the hunt!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Robba: Yes, agree that for the most part you can throw money at developing a significant Colt collection, but there just aren't any memories attached to building a collection like that. Yes, the thrill of the hunt!

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! I'm still looking for that $200.00 Border Patrol .38, or another $125.00 1st generation SAA..... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ohiobuckeye that not quite my exact quote. But should I in my wanderings find any $125.00 1st. gen. SAA Colts, I'll be sure to post it. You never know, I found a NIB nickel Viper last week for $550.00. Its not $200.00 or $125.00 but sill a bargain. Anybody know about how many nickel Vipers were made? I think in 1977 the whole run was about 1,000. And the hunt goes on!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Ohiobuckeye that not quite my exact quote. But should I in my wanderings find any $125.00 1st. gen. SAA Colts, I'll be sure to post it. You never know, I found a NIB nickel Viper last week for $550.00. Its not $200.00 or $125.00 but sill a bargain. Anybody know about how many nickel Vipers were made? I think in 1977 the whole run was about 1,000. And the hunt goes on!

[/ QUOTE ]

Robba, I used the "quote" transfer function, so that was an exact word for word quote of your entire paragraph. I'm not sure how you think our interpretations differ, as I completely agree with what (I think) you said. Most of the fun is in "the thrill of the hunt", and we all hope to stumble across the high dollar gun for the low dollar price, even though my examples were a bit tongue in cheek. Perhaps, my feeble attempt at humor was a flop.
Anyway, back to Colts....Vipers never seemed to be all that scarce or desired, in this neck of the woods, until the last year or so. I've seen a couple of nickel, and several blue, and would guess the ratio of the ones I have personally observed as about 1 in 10. Mine is a NIB blue, and the nickel guns were all used, so I passed on both.
$500 to $550 seemed to be the average going rate until the recent surge of interest. My observance of Vipers is from walking the aisles with my gun show buddy who happens to be a real penny pincher. He decided he wanted a Viper well over a year ago, after he looked at one for $450, and decided not to take it. Bad move. He has passed on several in the $500-$550 range and kept looking for another $450 Viper, which no longer exists. The last two we have seen were priced at $700 and $750 with little room to haggle. Every time we see one, my ornery streak forces me to remind him of the $450 Viper that got away.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts