Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm desperate to find out what I can on this revolver . It was silver plated at some point .serial number 22950.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,290 Posts
What is it specifically that you are desperate to know ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was wonder who owned it . And any clues if it was a civil war gun. Also it's silver plated . Anything helps. Addresses bar is worn out

·
Registered
503 Posts
Lyonsjj,

The guys on this forum are very knowledgeable. You are just pushing your request as if it is an Internet search and want it now.

These guys have been here for years and have a wealth of knowledge but it has come with time. You might have to learn that as a newbie.

Don't be impatient and answers might come.

Jim

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Was wonder who owned it . And any clues if it was a civil war gun. Also it's silver plated . Anything helps. Addresses bar is worn out
It will be unlikely that you will ever know who originally owned your firearm. The only thing that could link your firearm to an individual would be in the unlikely event that you identified a document contemporary to this firearm that listed this firearm by serial number. Your chances of finding a needle in a haystack are many, many times greater. This firearm originally would have contained a blued and case coloured finish. What you see is the bare metal of the firearm after all case colouring and bluing is worn away. A silver plated finish would be rare and would differ in appearance. Yes, since this firearm pre-dates the War of Northern Aggression, it is possible that this was carried as the sidearm of a soldier that he purchased privately for his own use.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I fear that you may already know as much as you are likely to about this pistol - the year of its manufacture. Your photographs seem to indicate that it is in relatively poor condition as far as collectible value goes.

Rio

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Little bit about it . When I got it it was still loaded in one cylinder. I was told by a man that a gun 10 numbers off from one that was attached to company D volunteer Calvary Massachusetts

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
It's a Model 1851 Navy, built in 1853 - well before the beginning of the American Civil War.

The only thing plated might be the trigger guard and backstrap - the rest of the finish was worn off, and the overall condition is poor.

'Could' it have seen service - who knows?

The only way anyone will ever know that would be if the weapon were referred to by serial number in a soldier's diary - failing that, it's anyone's guess.

Just so you understand - military small arms weren't issued in serial number order, nor were they shipped in serial number order, so one guy's opinion means little when you factor the factory shipping practices and the way weapons were handled by the Quartermaster.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I look up serial number dates of manufacture using ProofHouse.com Yours indeed was made in early 1853. I see the serial is worn off the barrel lug. Have you checked the serial of the loading lever? Open the lever and it should be on the top flat where it meets the barrel. From the photos I can not see any silver plating you mention except perhaps on the backstraps. With a brass backstrap and trigger guard this plating was standard from the factory. If you want data as to who it was shipped to I believe Colt no longer has those records.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
dogface is right that guns were not shipped in serial order, however, they often were shipped in serial blocks and being close to one that is documented, while not proof, would certainly in my mind make it more 'possible' to have the same connection than one with a more distant number. Such a shame the 1864 Colt fire destroyed so much data we would love to have now.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts