Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After five years from the date that the deer mount known as My Deer was measured by an Official Scorer with BuckMasters Records of Whitetail Deer and I was informed that he scored high for this region of Georgia and was officially in the Record Book and would be included in the next printing of the Record Book. I bough a hardback copy of Edition 7 of the book and couldn’t find my deer listed anywhere. I knew I had a copy of the Score Sheet somewhere but almost five years is a long time to remember where you put something and I couldn’t remember the Scorers name. Yesterday walked by an antique end table in my trophy room, Aw Hell guys it’s my bedroom full of deer, bore, bear and the like and my gun collection, but this table has a top and a shelf underneath. Without thinking I reached under the shelf and pulled out some papers and second from the top, my Score Sheet signed off by the Scorer. It showed a Grand Talley of 173 3/8 points. The 8TH Edition of the Record Book will be out next April and I may be one of the feathered story’s in the BuckMasters Magazine next year!
Head Elk Vertebrate Wood Natural material
Head Elk Light Jaw Natural material
Elk Wood Deer Natural material Organism
Font Parallel Pattern Handwriting Music
Font Parallel Pattern Handwriting Music

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations. That is one beautiful white tail. I gotta ask what you shot it with?
Up until then I hunted only with an open site Pre-64 Model 94 Winchester in 30/30. After that deer I thought I would be lucky if I ever kill another Buck again. Went out an bought an expensive bolt action rifle and a super duper 4X9 scope. The next fall I killed a fairly nice 8 point buck. As we were processing him the next night in my Dads basement I made the astute observation, This Deer is no deader than any I ever killed with my Winchester Rifle!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After five years from the date that the deer mount known as My Deer was measured by an Official Scorer with BuckMasters Records of Whitetail Deer and I was informed that he scored high for this region of Georgia and was officially in the Record Book and would be included in the next printing of the Record Book. I bough a hardback copy of Edition 7 of the book and couldn’t find my deer listed anywhere. I knew I had a copy of the Score Sheet somewhere but almost five years is a long time to remember where you put something and I couldn’t remember the Scorers name. Yesterday walked by an antique end table in my trophy room, Aw Hell guys it’s my bedroom full of deer, bore, bear and the like and my gun collection, but this table has a top and a shelf underneath. Without thinking I reached under the shelf and pulled out some papers and second from the top, my Score Sheet signed off by the Scorer. It showed a Grand Talley of 173 3/8 points. The 8TH Edition of the Record Book will be out next April and I may be one of the feathered story’s in the BuckMasters Magazine next year! View attachment 767148 View attachment 767149 View attachment 767150 View attachment 767151 View attachment 767151
I know I have been reminded, just wasn’t thinking.

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
Definitely drum roll material. Great score. That’s beautiful. Thanks for sharing your fine looking Buck with us.

Reactions: RDS

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think it's neat you used a pre 64 Winchester 94 30/30 with open sights. I have my uncles' 1952 Winchester 94 30/30 he hunted with for many years. If I could still hunt that would be the rifle I would use. Congratulations on taking such a beautiful Whitetail. I take it that's the Model 94 hanging behind him.

·
Registered
8,517 Posts
Great accomplishment with traditional values. Hold your head high. You’ve entered a great fraternity.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
He's a beauty. Love that drop tine.
Looks like he's been hanging there for 48 years!!

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Beautiful Buck with a great classic rifle. I'd brag a bit as well. Having it come out in print will be so great for you!

I, being a hunter, wouldn't mind seeing a few more of those mounts surrounding that one...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Beautiful Buck with a great classic rifle. I'd brag a bit as well. Having it come out in print will be so great for you!

I, being a hunter, wouldn't mind seeing a few more of those mounts surrounding that one...
I have since given the 30/30 to our Son in Law married to our youngest Daughter. He is neither a hunter nor a gun person but he appreciates quality and historic value of anything that earns that moniker. He is a Registered Engineer but works for the largest extruder of copper and aluminum in this country and the largest wire manufacturer in the country. He went to work for them right out of college and has been promoted half a dozen times since he has been with the company. I explained to him what the rifle was and what made it collectible. Who knows he may want me to carry him to the Range one day.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Ask and you shall receive pictures,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts