Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to add an insert (tritium, gold dot/white dot, etc.) to the existing ramp front sight of a third generation ('72) DS? I know Colt's custom shop offered one for awhile but don't know how it was done. Thanks. Russ

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
There are two main methods.

The non-factory method sight makers often use these days is to install a dovetailed insert in the sight.
These look odd since unlike a standard colored insert that flush with the sight face, these stick out so the rear face can be angled more to the rear.

The method used by the Colt factory is one some makers still offer, and that's to actually drill a hole in the sight and install a Tritium tube in the hole.

This is ticklish work since if the insert is installed too low on the sight or is off center the barrel is ruined.
I suspect the installers actually use a milling machine and a tiny boring drill to drill the hole.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. My local smith said he could cut in a colored ramp insert no problem. I didn't ask him about actually drilling into the ramp. As the ramp width is pretty small and my eyes aren't getting better with age perhaps a flourescent ramp insert (something putrid like green or orange) might be better advised.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
Installing a colored sight insert is fairly easy for a good 'smith.

Most people get red-orange inserts but fluorescent green, yellow, or even white works.

As an experiment, get some various colors of model airplane paint and paint the front sight.
This will allow you to see what works for you.
On the fluorescent colors, paint the sight with white first as an undercoat. This makes the color brighter.

Then too, if you want, you can skip the inserts, just paint the sight, and refresh it as it wears.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts