Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, First post. I just need a little info and I figured this was the best place to go. I recently installed a new hammer in my older model (thin barrel, exposed ejector rod, short grip frame) detective special. I bobbed the new hammer for easier concealed carry.

I didn't want to alter the original hammer so the gun could be restored to its original condition if need be.

The gun works fine both in SA ans DA. Trigger pull appears the same as before. Hammer does not push off or show any signs of trouble. I put approx. 100 round though it and it seems fine.

However, others I have spoken with said the hammer needed to be properly fitted to the trigger. Did I get lucky, is this a drop in part or am I looking at problems down the road?

Thanks

·
Registered
81 Posts
You got lucky. Although I'm not an expert, I am a pretty fair tinkerer. My experience is that about half the time the part will just drop in as yours did. The other 50% of the time some hand fitting will be required. If it works fine now, it should work fine for a long, long time. I seem to run into more problems installing triggers than hammers.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
Over 30 years of Colt work, I seem to have had slightly better luck.

Of the hammers I installed, I'd guess that the majority required little real fitting.

As above, if it's working now, it'll keep working.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I dropped a bobbed Diamondback hammer into an Agent and it worked. Sounds like I won the toss.

Guess I won the toss twice, because I had dropped a stock factory DB hammer into the DB after I removed the bobbed hammer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts