Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DS-II 4\"

I stumbled onto another Colt while traveling in Kansas, a 4" DS-II with box and all papers. I would have bought it on the spot except it's scuffed and scratched, about a 90% gun. I've been looking for a shooter and this may be it but I was wondering what it's worth. Also, is there a way to clean up(minimize) the scuffs/scratches?
Thanks,
Darnell

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: DS-II 4\"

SS finishes are easy to maintain and easy to bring back to presentable condition.

If it were me, and the price was anywhere close to reasonable, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. Not many people even know of the the existence of a 4" DSII. Not many people can say they have actually seen one. And even fewer people can say they have one!

If you don't want it maybe you could report the asking price here and the name and location of the store. I'm sure there are several readers here that would like to own a gun like that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

WS23,
What method do you use on s/s to freshen it up? Is $400 reasonable for a 4" in this condition? If I decide against it I will post the contact info here.
Thanks,
Darnell

·
Registered
794 Posts

darnell, there are a number of different ways to freshen up a SS finish. What method to use really depends on a number of different factors including the current finish (brushed, polished, or ultimate bright etc), how badly marred the finish is, and what you want the new finish to look like.

Real deep scratches or pitting requires the removal of too much metal to bring back to presentable condition. But if a SS gun has simple handling marks or from holster usage, often steel wool can be used to blend the finish in the bad areas. Just test in a small area to see the effect. Instead of using steel wool dry try wetting it with WD40.

Use of certain types of Silicon Carbide sand paper varying from 400 to 600 all the way to 1500 grit will produce a finish of varying brilliance depending on your objectives. Again test a small area to determine effect and keep the paper moist with WD40 or some form of oil.

There are also many types of wire wheels you can chuck to your drill to create a uniform finish. Use of wire wheels will help you to simulate the dull brushed look of some SS. Or by finding real soft wire wheels you can achieve varying degrees of polish. But always test the wire wheels on some other metal to determine effect. There are some wire wheels found in HW stores that are very abrasive, so be careful. Also varying the speed the wheel is traveling will affetct the finish produced. I have an old barrel I use for testing.

Always exercise restraint and avoid as much as possible affecting any lettering, numbering etc. Also avoid any area that has a blasted (textured)finish. Be conservative. Practice on another piece of metal to test your methodology. Many SS finish guns that show heavy usage or lack of care can be brought back to excellent condition in this manner.

If I were to find the gun you describe at a gun show for that price, it would be mine. And before the sun went down it would look better than I found it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

WS23,
Thanks for the info. I'm really leaning toward buying it. I think it would clean up real nice, no deep scratches or gouges. I wouldn't want to make it "shiny", just get it to the "factory" brushed finish. After buying 4 revolvers(and one auto) in the past two weeks I'm thinking I need to slow down, but it will probably be a long time before I come across another DS-II 4"
Darnell

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts

I'll add a caution: NEVER, EVER use steel wool on a stainless gun.

The steel wool particles will embed into the stainless and rust later, damaging the finish.

Of the methods of resurfacing a satin stainless gun, the method I used was synthetic "blending pads".

These are essentially the same thing as the flat, green pot scrubbers sold in grocery stores, only finer "grits".
The green pads are just a little too coarse, but can be used to do preliminary scratch removal.

At one time, Brownell's sold these pads in textures that matched the satin finishes used on Ruger, Colt and S&W guns.

When they stopped carrying them, I started buying them at hardware stores in the sandpaper department.

The gray or brown pad that's equivalent to 0000 steel wool is about perfect for most guns including Colts.

These can be used wet, dry, or with oil.
Simply rub scratches and wear marks out, then finish by stroking in one direction to restore the original grained finish.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

dfariswheel,
Thanks! I appreciate the advice and will give it a try once I get the DS-II in my possesion. I can compare the results to my 3 incher and try and match them up.
Darnell

·
Registered
711 Posts

dghuppert,

Enjoy that little DS-II

I like mine:

Nice gun.

[This message has been edited by Blokey (edited 03-16-2005).]

·
Registered
45 Posts

Wow that's cool. Good going Darnell! Scotchbite pads and Flitz on soft cotton cloths works wonders for me. JKust so you can see an example of refinishing your own stainless guns... this gun had a lot of scuffs and scratches from years of handling when I bought it. It was in excellent mechanical condition, but the finish was really looking like it had been around a while. After a couple hour's work with Scotchbite pads and Flitz, it's simply gorgeous.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

WOW Don! That's a great looking 66. How hard are they to find in 3"? I think I'll be looking for one of those now too.
Darnell

·
Registered
45 Posts

3" 66's are not exceedingly rare, but they're certainly uncommon. If you find one in decent shape for a reasonable price, you should definitely snap it up. As I said, this one didn't look all that great when I bought it, but look what you can do with stainless!
When considering a used stainless gun, if the mechanicals are excellent and wear is minimal, some scuffs and scrapes or minor scratches on stainless are easy to get rid of.... I think lots of buyers will pass on a stainless gun that has some scuffs or light scratches, when actually, the gun can be made to be cherry with very little work.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Here is the 4" DS-II and a photo of all of my Colts- Magnum Carry, DS-II 3" and DS-II 4". The 4"er cleaned up pretty good. Still need to do some work on it but making progress! Now I just need a Det Special, and a King Cobra, and a .... and a.....
Does it ever end??
Darnell

·
Registered
45 Posts

Darnell... Your collection looks wonderful! But seeing that DS-II 3"er of yours makes me really eager to receive mine... and thank you very much for the help in finding it! I owe ya BIG TIME. Now... to find a Magnum Carry! ;-)= hint hint....

BTW, I do think that when you finally get your Detective Special, your white guns will have "finish envy"! ;-)=

I know where you can get a NIB, cherry one! Just let me know if you want to go for it. But you're gonna need two... one to put on the pedestal and ta other ta shoot!

Then after you get your King Cobra you can think about a nice 2.5" Model 19! Hehehe

And to answer your question... no, I don't think it does ever end... it just keeps taking interesting twists and turns.

[This message has been edited by DHart (edited 03-21-2005).]

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Don,
Thanks for the call earlier. I'll keep looking locally for the Det Special but may take you up on your offer to set me up with one. 19, did you say I need a 19? How about this one? Borrowed the grips from the 586 but have since put the Hogue Bantams back on. This is the one made(I think) in 1982- unique SN 200k100.

Darnell

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Don,
No, haven't had a chance to order up a set of Ahrends grips yet. Since the 19 has Hogues on her again, she probably deserves the first set. I better give him a call soon!
Darnell

·
Registered
45 Posts

Darnell... nice chat, my friend.

That is a gorgeous 19 you've got there! Don't know what made me think you needed one when you already have one! Well... having one, you already know what gems they are! Enjoy that beauty....

P.S. Have you had a chance to try Ahrends finger groove round butt grips on any of your Smiths yet? I can't wait to hear your thoughts on them.

[This message has been edited by DHart (edited 03-23-2005).]

·
Registered
807 Posts

Darnell:

Since you have the Colt "D" Frame "Addiction", maybe you'll need to get one of these Colt "Viper's" now?:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Colt38,
Tell me more about the Viper- frame material, when made, how many, value, etc. This addiction is new and I'm still learning.
Thanks.

·
Registered
807 Posts

Darnell:

1)The Colt Viper was only made in 1977!

2)The Viper, is exactly the same as a Colt Police Positive Special(With the ejector shroud)except that the frame is made of aluminum alloy(Actually, a Viper is a Colt Cobra, with a four-inch barrel)!

3)I don't know the number of Viper's that were made-but, they are "Scarce" to find! In fact, in my 16 years of searching for older guns, my Viper, is the first one that I had ever run accross!

4)I have seen prices on these(Depending on condition?)between $500 to $1,100! The reason for this, is because these guns are highly "Collectible" and are in great demand, by Colt "Snake" Collector's(As every "Snake" Collector, needs a Viper, to complete their Snake collection!)!

5)I'm now considering looking to find a DS-II(3" or 4")and/or a Magnum Carry, like yours?

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 03-25-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 03-25-2005).]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts