Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all the chat about the other DS-IIs out there, I pulled mine out from where it hides and gave it a range run the other day. Unfortunately, it suffered a fair number of light strikes with a failure to fire, about six out of fifty.
I took it to the outdoor range today after giving it a good looking-over, and even trying a different mainspring from a reliable D-frame. That didn't change the DA trigger weight, so I put the original back in.
It was still missing plenty, embarrassing me in front of a Sig shooter at that.
I got home and pulled it down all the way. The firing pin seemed free and without hesitation. Stumped, I finally turned the sideplate over to see a good-sized gouge in the inner face. Sure enough, the pin securing the stirrup to the hammer was sticking out to the left, as if partly smashed home but leaving a pointy part protruding into the sideplate.
Man, this was driving me crazy. I have never pulled the stirrup, and while I'm not the original owner, it showed no previous signs of tampering, so I'm assuming this was factory. Yikes.
(My apologies if this belongs in "Smithing". I flipped a coin.)
Bill

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: DS-II light strikes redux-range report

Dressing down the damaged roll pin illustrated above took only a few minutes. I sneaked over to the local indoor range this afternoon and put a couple hundred of my service-equivalent reloads through it (158gr RNTMJ Berry's at 750fps in the shorty).
Thank goodness for the cushy Pachmayrs it wears. That's a bunch of snubby shooting, considering there were a few other guns along, too.
It ran perfectly, and the DA trigger was noticeablely nicer, with a bit less stacking messing up my trying to see those low-level sights.
I did actually fire a cylinderfull single-action, but it made me laugh so I stopped.
Bill

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Re: DS-II light strikes redux-range report

Glad you found a way to get the DSII operating well. I love the snubbies myself. I have an SF-VI thats been giving me trouble and is about to go back to colt due to light hammer strikes. Mine appears to have insufficient firing pin protrusion through the breechface. I don't know how to measure it accurately but with trigger held to rear and hammer down, the tip of the pin is barely visible. don't know if the pin is just a bit short or if maybe the hammer nose is a little too long and striking the frame above the transfer bar. Hoping the colt folks can remedy this problem without messing up the trigger pull which is the lightest smoothest pull I've ever felt on a snub, or just about any other revolver for that matter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts