Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Anybody have pics of these Colts they could post? I'd love to see what they look like but can't seem to find any pictures.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
794 Posts
Dave,
I have a picture of mine but I don't know how to post a picture. I will send it directly to your e-mail if you want.
Darrell

·
Registered
794 Posts
Responce may me confusing to some. They may effectively be the same gun but they do not look exactly the same.

Actually the Magnum Carry has a different style rubber stock. Consideably different looking.

Sorry no disrespect intended.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Other differences that make these 3 guns not look exactly the same include the SF VI is counter bored whereas the DS II is not. I can't remember with absolute certainty, but I believe the Magnum Carry is not counter bored either.

Perhaps this difference is subtle to some, but to others it may be significant.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I don't know that Colt ever made a 3" Magnum Carry. I'd say the answer is no, but who knows if they made some limited run with this uncataloged barrel length.

Check you e-mail for picture.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If I ever figure out how to post a picture, I'll include a photo of my Magnum Carry with a hammer shroud from a Detective Special,

John

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
On second thought, you're right, the grips did change.

The Magnum Carry also went with a different muzzle treatment, since people were quite vocal about the razor-sharp muzzle on the SV-VI and early DS-II.

These early guns would scrape through a good leather holster as well a make some serious cuts to flesh.

Sorry about the mis-information, I'm still moving and I'm getting punchy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Here is a pic of a Combat Cobra I borrowed from another thread

[This message has been edited by clang (edited 11-04-2003).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Whoa, Clang! Where has this been all my life? I guess I need a recent Colt history lesson. I could really get behind this gun for a personal protection piece. .357, yes? (I hope!) When did these happen? It looks like a Trooper Mk III witha short barrel or a Lawman with better grips and different barrel? Those guns I've known about, but THIS is something new to me. For that matter, all the guns on this thread sound like, "the Colt's that Bob forgot!" Tell me more? Over?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's my understanding that these are simply King Cobras with 2 1/2" barrels and smaller grips that were made up special for a big distributor.
I don't know when or how many.

Dave

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm no expert, but what I found out was the following. All info is 2nd hand knowledge, so if anyone can corroborate it would be appreciated.

The SF-VI is my gun, it is .38 Special. It was produced in the mid 90s and was replaced after a year or two by the DSII (Detective Special 2). The gun was called SF-VI for "Small Frame 6 (as in shots)". The reason they named this gun SF-VI was because Colt still had the original Detctive Special (4th Issue? left over 3rd Issue?) in inventory and Colt wanted to differentiate the guns because they use different actions. When the inventory of Detective Specials was depleted, Colt renamed the SF-VI to DSII (I'm not sure of any engineering changes).

The Blue book says the SF-VI came with 2" or 4" barrels, bright polish or black, regular or bobbed hammer. Mine is the only example I have seen. I looked it over real closely at a gun show but did not buy it. It bothered me for a while, so when I saw it at a later gun show I bought it. Double action pull is smooth and light. Gun is very accurate.

The Combat Cobra pic was borrowed from the "Magnum Carry Prices?" thread below. I just posted it here since it looked like the original poster did not get the command right. Only thing I can tell you about it is that it is .357 Mag and was a special edition for Lew Horton with CC prefix.

------------------
If the horse don't pull you got to carry the load

1 - 14 of 14 Posts