Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I took my Detective Special to the range. This little bugger is accurate! 50 shots, 15 yards, all single action while standing. I cannot shoot it DA anywhere near that accurate (we won't post those targets), but the gun itself is darn accurate.

Sure is a fun shooter!

·
Administrator
7,049 Posts
Nice one Pete and good shooting ! What a shame they don't make them anymore .

What load do you practice with ?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I "used" to shoot a very standard book load of 4.6 grns of Unique with a 158 grn lead SWC (in some manuals 5.1 grns is the maximum). This gives very +P velocities and although it was the standard load for 38 specials for decades, I now recommend at most 4.2 grns (4.3 is the max in the Alliant manual) with the same 158 grn SWC. Out of the DS, 4.6 gives you 781 FPS, 893 out of a 4" Diamondback and 921 FPS out of a 6" python.

Frankly I am not sure if 4.6 grns is over pressure (probably not) but it is over +p velocities and this will beat up your gun. In retrospect I am sure this is what put my old Diamondback into the shop. For years I had just one standard load for the 38 special. If you look at the speer 10 the max is 4.7, the old Lyman book 1 is 5.1, Lyman book 2 is also 5.1 with 5.4 being +p. As a comparison, commercial (CBC) 158 lead does 675 FPS out of the DS, 765 FPS out of the Diamondback and surprisingly only 795 out of the Python.

Sorry for the long post, but the lesson I learned is chrono everything. I now mostly load for accuracy and make sure I am not over SAAMI velocity for the same gun.

Hope my little dissertation helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts