Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another lurker comes out... Hi folks, being primarily a shotgunner I'm going to have some questions about the very nice Detective Special I was smitten by at the most recent Louisville gun show - C122xx, with Pachmyer grips. 1) It has the shrouded ejector, do I assume therefore it won't hurt to feed it an occassional handful of +P?
2) What is your advice on improving the sight visibility - can it be fitted with a red ramp insert / white outline, or night sights? Vendors?
3) None of the screwdrivers in my (admittedly rudimentary) kit fit this thing. Does anybody have a list of exact sizes needed?
These Colts are just the neatest things - they've opened a new field of interest for me ranging from Police Positives through the Trooper, Lawman and Pythons. I'm sure I'll have a number of questions in the near future...

Bryan

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
In order:
1. The shrouded Dick Specials were rated for 3000 rounds of +P, but this required that the gun be returned to the factory for probable frame replacement.

Shooting a few hundred +P's won't harm it, but I'd use standard ammo for practice and plinking, and save the +P for "business" use.

2. The long front sight on the shrouded DS is a problem, but it can be fixed by having a LONG colored ramp put in.
I used to mill a long, narrow, shallow groove in the sight, and fill it with white paint.
From the rear, this looked like a white dot sight.
Bright green or yellow inserts seem to show up better than red or orange.

I'd suggest buying some model car or airplane paint in different colors, and experiment. You're looking for the best color for you, plus how long an insert you need.
Because of the shallow slope of the DS, the insert needs to be much longer than other revolvers. You need to determine HOW long for your eyes.

Of course, you can also just paint the thing, and use it as is. The paint is fairly durable, and easy to repaint or remove.

3. The screwdrivers I used are Brownell's magnetic bits. The Colt DA revolver sizes I used most are:
120-3, and 120-4
150-3, and 150-4
180-3, and 180-4--all these fit the side plate screws, depending on the model.

210-3-for the cylinder lock screw in post-war guns.
So, about 90% of my Colt work was done with no more than 7 bits.

·
Registered
254 Posts
welcome, I was at Louisville, and never did see a good deal on a colt, congrats, I am also new to colt revolvers and so far have picked up a DS and python, diamondback is next on my list.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dfariswheel: Thank you for the info. I've ordered the Brownells screwdriver kit. Also the "Ghost Glow" luiminous paint; no point in getting more complicated than necessary with the front sight.

Kennedy: I didn't say I got good deal, I just had to have one! Now that I have something to shoot I can be more patient searching for the right Diamondback (my next objective as well).

·
Registered
535 Posts
GREETINGS! Always happy to see a new guy on board! Nice guns? Why, they're COLT'S! And you haven't even mentioned the 1911 style .45's and Single Action Army's ... And then there's the .36 Navy and the Walker and ... Really, the DS is one of the Champs of all time. I remember very well when the, then-new model DS came out. It was on the cover of Gun Digest. I knew two detectives and one Police Lieutenant that went out a bought one. I had an old model Cobra I liked and never did make the switch. Strictly under, "For What it's Worth," please do give some thought to just practice without any sight alterations or even finger nail polish, as some guys I know used. The, "kinesthetic sense," is what you're dealing with ... "Muscle Memory." Any handgun, especially a Colt DS lends itself very well to training the gun/hand to point where the eye tells it to, without the use of any sights at all. If you try shooting at, say 8 1/2 X 11 blank copy paper, I think you'd be amazed how many times you hit it at, say, 15 yards to start. Then work closer and farther away. And go double-action, too. The single will always be there for slow, deliberate fire but the, "fast and fancy,"takes some doing. Sorry for the shootin' lesson ... Just kick me softly in the slats and I'll go away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts