Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was talking a bit of duck hunting with icdux1 in the middle of a revolver topic so moved over here.

I was interested in the Winchester Model 50 shotgun. It is a Winchester product that I've not seen in use in this neck of the woods. I can't recall if it is recoil operated or gas operated. It was a good looking gun in its day. I've only seen a few at gun shops or gun shows.

I still enjoy hunting ducks with a Winchester Model 12 or a Remington Model 11. I sat in the rain with the Model 11 on Saturday morning of the last weekend of duck season here in Texas and it never bobbled. My brother-in-law, nephew, and I shot the hooey out of widgeon, ringnecks, and a few shovelers. My old Model 11 still works as well as it did in 1931 when it was new. I'd rather take one or the other of these two old classics to the duck blind than one of my newer shotguns. I like the 2 3/4-inch 12 guage, never bothering with the 3-inch or 2 1/2-inch magnum loads.

Though I choke on the cost, I use bismuth sixes. They perform more like the lead I would prefer to use. For years before the stupid lead shot ban I shot Remington Express sixes or Winchester Super X copper plated sixes if I could find them. I did have just as good luck with high brass 7 1/2's over decoys.

Lots of folks don't care for duck. Those that will eat it don't generally care for ducks like ringnecks or shovelers but I like to eat all ducks. We had a great duck feast.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
the mod 50 is a very different design, it uses a seperate chamber which is not part of the bbl. if i remember correctly carbine williams had some hand in the design.they dont have the closing force of the browning design and reloads dont work too well{i used to reload cases 1 time then pitch them} i had several of them including one light weight reciever gun and a 59 with the light weight bbl also.my favorite was the gun choked ws1 it had a ribbed bbl but standard wood. they have a habit of doubleing once they have many rounds put thru them.{ there is an adjustment for this}i traded the gun when mine devoleped this problem.i still see them on auctions and they arent terribly high priced. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi guys,
I used to be a duck and goose hunting addict from the 60's through the mid 90's. My old lab died in '95, my old partner got old, I got older so I don't do it too much anymore but still own all of my rigs plus my boat (grandkids getting older you know). I hunted all over Maryland and body booted on the Susquehanna Flats for years and years. We did it all, body booting, layout boats, boat blinds, sneaking with canoes.

I also was a carver and carved my rigs and did some competition. Of course I was a decoy collector too, that goes without saying.

I still enjoy talking about it too.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
huntin them ducks can sure get in a mans blood.sorry to hear about the dog, lost mine around the same time to heartworms.what type ducks do you shoot on east coast??last good year i can rember was 96, havent bought a stamp since 99.i killed my share back in the 70`s, seems about the time they started to required steel shot ducks started to decline. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
116 Posts
We shot Mallards, GW Teal, Blackducks, Canvasbacks (when they became legal), Bluebills mostly. We didn't shoot the Mergansers, Buffleheads, Goldeneyes, and other divers too much due to their eating qualities. We hunted almost exclusively salt water in the Chesapeake Bay and headwaters out of boat blinds.

Float trips on fresh water rivers yielded Mallard and Wood ducks. We would float and then set up on small islands on a very small river with oak trees surrounding it.

I miss the action but don't miss the hours and work involved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts