Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used to have a lot of respect for decorated former Navy pilot Duke Cunningham. Not since he was convicted of accepting bribes in the millions from from defense contractors. One count detailed how he got a free house built for him. Sadly, he proved he was just another politician.

He's getting released from the can soon and requested his gun rights be restored because he wants to be able to hunt and shoot with his family in Arkansas, where he plans to live. Although his was not a crime of violence and we can debate whether gun rights should be restored for non violent felons, I don't think the laws concerning firearms and convicted felons allow any interference from the bench for a judge to reinstate his rights.
Also, it would have set an even worse example to see a former man of influence have his gun rights reinstated when there's not a snowball's chance in **** that former inmate John Doe could have his gun rights reinstated.

Imprisoned ex-congressman Cunningham wants gun rights restored upon release | Fox News

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
They have already given convicted felons too many rights back. I can remember when they couldn't vote or run for any public office.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Certainly petition for return of some or all Rights should depend on a careful review of the details of the particular Felony someone had been convicted of.

Some kinds of Felonies are so benign and absurd they should have never been Felonies to begin with.

Others, of course are more 'serious'.

In my opinion, excessive or flagrant Corruption by an elected or appointed Official ( as distinct from occasions in which someone may have been framed ) , when a Felony, should qualify in review as representing the person's dramatic forfeit or abdication of 'The Social Contract', and, of however many Civil Rights that may contain.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I am told that here in Nevada, if someone owns or manages a small restaurant or bar which of course has a 'Liquor License', and a customer asks for a particular Alcohol Drink, say, and there is none of that brand or kind on hand or they had ran out...if the owner or manager simply trots around the corner to the closest Liquor store or Grocery Store or 7-11 and buys a bottle to bring back, in order to serve the Customer...this is a 'Felony'.

The Restaurant or Bar is ONLY allowed to obtain Licquor from a Licenced WHOLESALE distributor, "period"...and is forbidden by Law to obtain any Liquor/Alcohol of any kind from a 'Retailer' at retail prices same as anyone else would.

If this is true, I would say it represents an absurdity and an injustice and such a deed ought not be a 'Felony' in the first place.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I believe his conviction would constitute a crime of moral terpitude, and if that is the case, his right possess a firearm will not be restored.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
If I was the judge I would have ruled to restore is firearm right under the condition that he did "x" number of hours of firearm-related community service for as long as he chose to own a firearm.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I think he would have to file a request for restoration with the Director of ATF to receive the restoration of his firearms privilages. And as I understand it,they have not received any additional funds to conduct such investigations. However, I think the POTUS can restore them.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, he's not getting his gun rights restored and in his specific case, I agree completely with the federal judge.
While non violent, his crimes were very serious. He took over 4 million in bribes.
The ATFE has no say in this specific matter. Only the Prez could restore them, not even the A.G. The Prez could not legally do so except with a pardon.
Unless the federal laws on this matter were changed in the house and senate. Then there would most probably be a provision in the new law that restoration of gun rights would be contingent upon an administrative decision by the Judiciary or a US Dept. such as the A.G. with sign-ons from the ATFE and FBI.
The way things are now, the only way he could restore Cunningham's gun rights would be to issue a pardon to Cunningham. Then his record would be nullified and the current mandatory gun restrictions would become moot. It ain't gonna happen. Cunningham was a republican and pro gun. The president is, well........

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
A person convicted goes to prison for his his punishment. I wonder how much he should continue to be punished the rest of his life after release. Killers, robbers, bribery felons, sex offenders, child molesters, etc all have different shadings of after-release exposure or likelihood of recidivism or relapse into same or other crime. Gun restrictions, registry as sex offender or child molester, etc are appropriate in most/some cases.

I understand there exists procedure for restoration of civil rights to felons, at least in some states. I would be in favor of a Federal code that defines after-release restrictions and includes a method of review to modify same, up or down.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I disagree. The POTUS can with the pardon, as you stated. ATF investigates and approves or denies all applications for the relief from dissabilities. This process has a different title now, but the process is the same. This is soley to restore an individuals right to purchase and posess firearms after being convicted of a felony.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I think he would have to file a request for restoration with the Director of ATF to receive the restoration of his firearms privilages. And as I understand it,they have not received any additional funds to conduct such investigations. However, I think the POTUS can restore them.
Think me, it matters not the felon's name, circumstances or severity of the crime, nor the verdict or punishment handed down. This "POTUS, " if you will, is not in the business of restoring ANYBODY'S 2nd Amendment Rights. Indeed, if his speech, actions, and voting record are any indication, he is unquestionably in the business of stripping all Americans of their Constitutional Right to Keep and Bear Arms. To argue otherwise is, I submit, folly.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I'll stay out of this one -- I live in Illinois !! The State with the most Governors and other Polititions in jail. And many that should be. Yet they make very difficult to own firearms here. I think he should still be in jail !!!!

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I have got my wrist`s slapped on another site for voiceing my political views. I am about to bite my tongue off. I am watching this john edwards case. Guys, that person could well have been our president today! (Likely it could have been a improvement?) A few years before, it was gary hart. Of course there also has been a few republicans too, like the toe tapper.
I used to be far harder and more judgemental untill the last couple years. I had several shirt tail relatives get in the worst type troubles imaginable. My sense of justice hasnt changed, but I did soften up a tad. I found through the years that I had many hard nosed friends that had sons that were outlaws that they didnt want to talk about, supported (always because of the wife), but damned others with similar situations.
There was a book titeled, "Once a hero". This guy was a decorated helicopter pilot in vietnam. Later he was a alaska state trooper. He had things happen, had a bad divorice and as a right wing person somehow got talked into a underground militant group. Stold a helicopter and used it as a get away vehicle for the group to rob a bank for financeing their wild idea`s in a southern state! In his book I noticed some personnal things and/or events we had in common and actualy got in touch with him in prision. He seemed a stand up, likeable guy. This all was about 30 years ago, I dont know if he is still in or not. Some of these guys need to defend themselves once they paid their dues too. I have mixed feelings about some of this where I didnt years back. My dad used to tell me, "There is a skeliton in every closet". The older I have gotten, the more I see it`s true!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
that's the part that gets my goat.
real tired of seeing justice bent in favor of the rich and/or famous.
Can't speak for other states, but in Ohio it would not be a special favor or bending of the rules to restore gun rights. Anyone here can apply to the court for restoration of gun rigts, but unless it's a non violent once in a lifetime felony conviction, the chances of getting a favorable ruling are slim to none. I know of only one case of restored rights in this county and it took a few bucks, an attorney, and several months to work through the system.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
People make mistakes. We all do stupid stuff. We don't always make the best decisions. When we elect a public official, we entrust them to do the right thing. To hold our best intrests first. My guess is the only thing this guy has for remorse is that he got caught. And as a result he has lost some of his precious individual rights. I know we are taught to forgive. He has served his time in prison. But, part of his punishment is the loss of certain rights forever. So, forgive me if I do not shed a tear for Mr. Cunningham.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts