Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this under revolvers and have not received an answer:

Dumb question? What ammo besides .22 magnum can be used in the Trooper .22 magnum? I find .22 long rifle seats well which means short and long rifle would also seat well? I know other calibers,ie. .44 magnum and .357 can use other types ammo?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Nothing but the .22 magnum should be shot in guns so chambered. The .22lr, .22 long, and .22 short have smaller diameter cases that could cause them to split when fired in a magnum chamber. There is the .22 Winchester Rimfire (WRF) that will probably fit the chamber, but it has been obsolete for quite a while and it's a collector these days.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually, you can also fire .22 WRF (Winchester Rim Fire)or Remington specials in a .22 mag. Of course they are hard to find. The .22 Mag, WRF, and Remington Special all share the same diameter case which is larger in diameter than a .22 S., L., or L.R. Shooting .22 LR in a mag will bulge / split the case.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Even though there are others that can be stuffed into the chamber and made to go "bang", the bottom line is "don't".
The 22 magnum is the only one you can fire safely, and the standard factory bullet diameters differ somewhat, so accuracy would not be all that great with incorrect ammo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts