Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's mine: About ten years ago I swapped a three inch Colt 1889 DA .41 in great shape for a (oh boy, I hate to even type this) Remington 788 in .223 caliber. At the time I had an unlimited supply of free .223, and the one time I shot the .41 only about one out three rounds actually went off. Like so much in life, it seemed like a good idea at the time. The 788 had problems, and it soon morphed into a Mini-X Mauser in .223, which later morphed into a 1947 vintage K-22, which I still have and like, but I sure would love to have the Colt back. (I got it in the seventies for $120 from a gunshop owner who I'm sure thought was taking me to the cleaners) I'm sure no one here has been so dumb, but maybe someone is close..........

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
back in the 70`s i traded a 16 ga. double stevens for a first gen saa 4 3/4 .45 with the blackpowder frame.well the old colt was far from mint having maybe 10-20% blue and pretty worn grips so i traded it for a nearly new k-22{still have it} which at that time was around 250$ and thought i had done good as i only gave 100$ for the double.i won`t mention the saa bisley i traded for a nice mod 29{almost impossible to get at that time}again in the 70`s. moral of this story NEVER EVER trade a colt for a smith.todays value on the colts 1500- 3000, todays value on the smiths 1000$ maybe.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I wont say because I never let someone know I'm stupid.Not that I'm not or am,but it was the motivating force behind makeing me want to know what I'm doing in guns or don't do it.I've made some bonehead gun deals,we all have,unless you've only made 2 or 3.I'm happy to make money on a deal or at least break even.I sold a prestene 1903 Springfield for little money and I'd love to have it back.I'd even give the guy boot.I'm also setting on an old Mauser that I paid $100 for 15 years ago,and when I was looking for guns to take to a show I wondered what it was worth.Needless to say I find it hard to believe it's now worth $1,000 now.If anyone is looking for an old DWM Portugese 6.5mm Mauser with all the correct markings on it,,,I have one that never gets appreciated...So sometimes the good deals make up for the bad ones.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My very worst trade was I traded a Springfield .50-70 trapdoor rifle and bayonet for a Hi-Standard H-D Military pistol. I still have the pistol as a reminder of the day I lost my mind.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Oh my god....I always wanted one of them.The 1st time I went black powder deer hunting I borrowed one of these,thinking if I got asked about it I'd play dumb.....guess you know who'd been sitting in jail saying who was dumb.Game Rangers aren't your everyday Barnie Fythe,they be smart.

·
Registered
254 Posts
traded am almost perfect 3rd issue dick special for a very nice .22 offical police plus a little cash, only to find out after close examination there was a bulge in the OP barrel, unloaded it on a trade for a ruger mark II 50th ann nib, sold it for a loss of $125, but used the money towards a pre 64 win 94 worth $125 more then I paid for it, so after a year came out even.

·
Registered
185 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also setting on an old Mauser that I paid $100 for 15 years ago,and when I was looking for guns to take to a show I wondered what it was worth.Needless to say I find it hard to believe it's now worth $1,000 now.If anyone is looking for an old DWM Portugese 6.5mm Mauser with all the correct markings on it,,,I have one that never gets appreciated...So sometimes the good deals make up for the bad ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its funny you mention that. I actually would be interested; not that its a DWM, rather I am interested in purchasing a usable 6.5 Mauser. Maybe yours is too nice to use as a true shooter.

I don't want some crap rifle, everything I own is nice, but you know what I mean....email me and we can talk.

[email protected]

·
Registered
64 Posts
I won't go into specifics b/c I don't really want everyone to know that I truly am an idiot, but it involved my very nice 2nd series Detective Special and a pawn shop, and I let the guy convince me that it was out of time and would cost a fortune to fix.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The dumbest trade I ever made. I had a smith and wesson 22 caliber revolver.
It was a victory model. The barrel and cyclinder had british proofs on it.
The cylinder was an original, but the chambers were at a slight angle to the bore. I did some research and it was learned that these were made right after WWII.
The angled chamber was actually engineered that way. I did shoot it and it did shoot decent.
It was a real oddity though.
I ended up trading it for some other pieces and have always regretted not keeping it and doing more research on it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Reno; First,welcome to the Forum!

Secondly-Your S&W "Victory" was NO GREAT LOSS!! It was one of the thousands "converted" by British and American firms in the 1950's and 60's from the fine old British issue S&W 5" Victory Models in .38 S&W, not .38 Special. The great majority just had their cylinders reamed out to take the longer .38 Spec. load,leaving an oversize bore and cyl. not condusive to accuracy,or even safety with hotter loadings.

Many had their barrels shortened to 2.5" or so,or just even with the muzzle. One of these,bought for about $25 by mail order,was used by JFK's killer to shoot the Dallas cop,at point blank range.

I have seen several of these Victories that have had the cylinders and barrels sleeved to take the .22,and a new firing pin installed. Many had target sights added,and the fine old British firm of Cogswell and Harrison did most of these. These guns have extensive British proof markings.

These are NOT collectable,and the price of an original Victory in fine shape,will be about double.

I once knew a guy who bought one of these .22s for a very high price,convinced by the seller,that it was an original pre war S&W .22 Outdoorsman,that had been sold by H &C in England,hence the markings! He was NOT happy when some of us told him his expensive mistake. The seller,not a licensed dealer,who rented a table at a show,had given him a fake phone number,and was nowhere to be found. He'd palmed off several other coverted Victories,as he was a wonderful story teller!

So,I would NOT fret over your lost gun!

Bud

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks lonewolf, that solves a mystery for me.

I traded that piece probably about 20-25 years ago and it has always puzzled me if there was any value to it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Majic I think you are right, If I remember right that seemed to be exactly the angle needed for the firing pin to connect to the rim.
It was a real strange one.
The forcing cone had been enlarged. And it was just splattered with british proof marks.
If I recall it had the lion on every flute of the cylinder. Plus several spots on the rest of the frams and barrel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
While serving in the Air Force at Wurtsmith AFB,Oscoda,MI,in 1965, I let some crafty, old Sgt.talk me into trading my Winchester model 100 to him for his rusted-out, oil-burning '57 Chevy stationwagon. I even threw in a couple of boxes of ammo! I was only twenty years old at the time but still...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
How about a 3" barreled Python and a steel cylindered .32NP Courier. That's all I can bear to say as I never make mistakes. hahaha

·
Registered
946 Posts
My first gun deal was my best and ended up being my worst. in 1952 when I was 11 years old I bought from a county auction a parker double barrel shotgun 12 gage in very good shape. Not a damascus twist ether! 21 bucks! Some time later a guy pulled into our yard wanting to know if we had any guns for sale. My old grand dad said boy, you shouldnt do anything till your pa gets home! That cinced it! I wanted to show I could do things on my own and traded for a winchester model 67 .22 and some old forign shotgun. Pa pulled me out of bed midnight, when he got home from work! I learned a lot from that deal!

·
Registered
116 Posts
bogusbill,
Wow, that was a doozey. No wonder you can still remember it after all these years. I love old classic doubles and Parkers are my favorite.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well... I think I need help with this one.

A couple of years ago I traded a pristine Hamden High Standard (Match Trophy)22cal. pistol for a pristine 1st series Colt Cobra and a box of 20 "Self Defense" rounds.

The High Standard was amazingly accurate, but amazingly ammo/magazine sensitive. When it would shoot reliably it was great, but half the time it would hang up... It would only shoot 2 varieties of ammo (standard velocity) with any reliability. It was heavy and I was tired of it.

I always have love the old Colt D frames and when I saw this blued beauty I was completely pleased with the deal.

Think I did poorly, or ok?

Of course the only person who has to be happy with the deal is, ME, and I am. But I was just curious as to how this deal looks to others who are smarter than myself in this area.

I "loves" me old Cobras....

Best Wishes,

JP /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, for my first post I suppose I'll clue you guys in on the dumbest trade I ever made. When I was 15 I traded a SA Colt .22 Peacemaker and a Remington model 1912A pump action .22 to a friends dad for a Lorcin 9mm (the worst gun I have ever owned). I still regret it to this day (I'm 28 now). The Remington pump was the smoothest shooting .22 rifle I've ever had. Strangely enough I was given another SA .22 Peacemaker with 6" barrel as a Christmas gift. Now all I need is the Remington. It's good to read about other peoples mistakes, makes me not feel so bad.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts