Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1960 Colt Official Police desperately in need of the proper grips. I have read multiple postings on numerous sites and I am still unsure of the "E" and "I" frame divide. The problem is that I have found a nice set of checkered wood grips from Numrich but they list two versions - one for the E frame and one for the I frame.

I do not want to go through the hassle of sending the wrong grips back. Does anyone know definitively what the frame size on this version is? I do know that it has the new style cylinder lock but I believe it also has the firing pin on the hammer (I am anxiously waiting its arrival so I can't check.)

As you can see from the photo, the grips that come Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
with it may be comfortable, but they are too ugly for me.

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
If the numbskulls at Numrich do not know that ALL square butt E-frames and I-frames have the same butt frame configuration, that is a bad sign as to what you will get when buying either.

That said, I think that Numrich is probably just listing the two frame configurations separately so that a search engine will find either one. The stocks are the same for each, and will interchange.

THAT said, I would suggest that you buy an ORIGINAL set of proper vintage stocks off of eBay and forgo the aftermarket junk that Numrich will sell you. Your classic OP looks nice enough to deserve a proper set of stocks.

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
If the numbskulls at Numrich do not know that ALL square butt E-frames and I-frames have the same butt frame configuration, that is a bad sign as to what you will get when buying either.

That said, I think that Numrich is probably just listing the two frame configurations separately so that a search engine will find either one. The stocks are the same for each, and will interchange.

THAT said, I would suggest that you buy an ORIGINAL set of proper vintage stocks off of eBay and forgo the aftermarket junk that Numrich will sell you. Your classic OP looks nice enough to deserve a proper set of stocks.
If the numbskulls at Numrich

Judge. Don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"I would suggest that you buy an ORIGINAL set of proper vintage stocks off of eBay and forgo the aftermarket junk that Numrich will sell you. Your classic OP looks nice enough to deserve a proper set of stocks."

That is probably the best advice but my lord those originals are expensive. The ones I have seen online go for anywhere from $145 - $175. Yikes! That is half again what I paid for the gun! That is why I turned to Numrich but they have only confused me further as to the whole "E" Frame/"I" frame conundrum. For example when you look at their parts list they list "Official Police" and "Official Police - E frame." The "E frame" parts schematic is a Python
:confused: and it just gets worse from there. Wood Wood stain
This is their repro which looks to me close to the factory stocks although the medallion is wrong. On E-bay Numrich has them listed at 65.00 but on their own site they go for 47.00, in two different variations for a grip frame that appears to be identical in both models:bang_wall:

If anybody has spare left or right side grips you want to sell, let me know and with luck I can put together a complete set for less than what I paid for my new revolver.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,467 Posts
Everything you ever wanted to know about I/E Frame differences/designations:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/col...-what-exact-difference-between-i-e-frame.html
I apologise for the info in that old post in the link. I'm not sure what bad day or brain malfunction I was having, but that is totally wrong.

To be exact, the "E" and "I" frames are precisely the same except for where the firing pin is mounted. There were changes to the "E" frame post-war with the cylinder retention, but the actual frame design and shape are the same.
Colt changed the firing pin location to strengthen the frame for Magnum ammo, and to simplify production just changed most medium frames to the "I" frame firing pin design.

In fact, all Colt medium "E&I" frame revolvers made from the Army Special of 1908 to the last Pythons made in 2003-04 used the same grip frame and all grips will interchange.

I don't know what Gun Parts story is, but they've overly complicated an uncomplicated grip situation.
If you look at the Gun Parts listings, you do see Official Police grips listed under the "E" frame and the "I" frame, but all of them have the same part number....They're the SAME grip set.

The above posted grips will fit your Official Police, with the fact that Colt grips varied slightly due to polishing of the frames and may need slight fitting to get a perfect match.
In the pre-war days Colt did final polishing of the frame with the grips in place to insure a perfect fit to the frame. This is why older Colt grips were numbered to the gun, to insure the same grips went back on the right gun.

You can easily fit the grips to your specific frame with a little careful sanding.
In any case, quality of the laser checkered grips aside, the Gun Parts grips will fit your OP.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I apologise for the info in that old post in the link. I'm not sure what bad day or brain malfunction I was having, but that is totally wrong.

To be exact, the "E" and "I" frames are precisely the same except for where the firing pin is mounted. There were changes to the "E" frame post-war with the cylinder retention, but the actual frame design and shape are the same.....<stuff redacted>...
I should have read the whole thread, so I apologize :) My intent was to point out that the firing pin location was the variable for the frame designators of I and E and that stocks/grips were and are interchangeable between the two. I've some stags and ivory that I switch around without issue and both were advertised as fitting I/E frame. OK, hope we've unmuddied the water :)

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I have purchased stocks in the past several times from Numrich and haven't had good results at all. They have always had dings, scuffs and scratches on them and even mismatched pairs. One pair had a rubber band wrapped around them (probably from the 80's) and the rubber band rotted and melted down into the checkering. When you buy stocks from them it's pot luck. I like to see the stocks I'm getting. They must just throw them in a bin and is probably where they get damaged. I never had a problem with returns though.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,467 Posts
Most grips and gun parts they sell are used, and often grips are well used and off scrapped police guns.
I think the pictured grips are newly made replicas, made with laser cut checkering.
These seem to look okay but are not exact replicas of genuine Colt grips due to the laser checkering and border shape.

However, if you need a set of Colt type Service grips, they're better then a set of old and really abused originals.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.