Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen only 2 e-nickel colts. The diamondback I own and an 8" Python at a show. Both had a yellow under tint and a dull silver top coat.
I just bought a 6" python SN V72XXX represented as e-nickel via internet. No yellow.
Marks on frame butt 7 and K. Any other marks I should look for?
What do I have? If not e- Ni does it =/+/or- $ value of e-Ni. Year of mfg?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
Your new Python was made in 1979.
The Year started off with V36737, and ended around V88373 by year's end.

'79 was "prime time" for electroless nickel, with Colt starting to sell the E-nickel as "Coltguard" later on.

Most E-nickel or standard nickel finishes do have a definite nickel "yellow" cast, but on some it's not as noticeable.

It's possible your gun was re-finished post-factory, but unless the gun was blued to start with, even a Colt historical letter might not clear it up.

Often, even experts have trouble spotting a re-plate job.

Bottom line, a refinished pistol is always worth less than a factory-original.
A NON-factory re-finish is worth even less.

In your case, I don't know any way to determine whether you have a re-finish or a non-yellow factory original electroless-Nickel.
About the only way to be sure would be to send it in to the factory, and hope they could tell you.

Unless you can see any obvious signs of a refinish, like blurred stamps, wavy flat surfaces, or dished-out holes, there is no way to tell if it's factory original.

As for markings, stainless guns usually have an "S" stamped on the center of the cylinder under the ejector, and on the inside of the barrel's ejector rod slot.

I'd look for an "N" or possibly an "E", in the same places. I DO NOT know if Colt did stamp nickel or E-nickel guns, but take a look.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 10-06-2004).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
I do not own an E-nickel Python. But I do own several other E-Nickel guns. I looked under the grips for any identifying mark to tell me they were E-Nickel. I could not find any E or other mark to associate specifically with E-Nickel.

On the other hand I do own nickel Pythons and several other nickel Colts. Having checked this before I know they are marked with an N under the grip.

So bottom line is basically what the Wheel told you, except that nickel guns did have an N on the grip frame and it looks to me that E-Nickel did not have an E or any other identifying mark.

I would not be concerned about the so called yellow tinge. As many men are not all that good seeing subtle differences in colors, me being one of them. The E-Nickel guns do not in my opinion demonstrate an obvious tinge. The best way to see the yellow tinge (especially if you have issues with colors) is to view a polished stainless steel gun along side a polished nickel gun. Then it is easy to see the hint of yellow. However in my case if I look only at the polished nickel gun by itself, I see no yellow. Tired eyes I guess.

I know my E-Nickels are factory and I see no yellow tinge. At any rate I'd venture to guess that yours is factory E-Nickel.

[This message has been edited by WS23 (edited 10-07-2004).]

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an EN Python. I don't see any special markings on the frame. I bought the gun new in the early 80's, mine was made in 1981. I still have the box and on the end label under finish it says EN. It almost looks like stainless and I don't see a yellow cast.

------------------
Ron
NRA Life Member

1 - 4 of 4 Posts