Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got another one of my must-have guns today, a 2” New Service. My understanding from Cam is that records research discovered 19 of them. This is probably number 20 (since research did not go that far back). This one was made in 1924 and is the earliest known 2” New Service. It spent all of it’s life in Chicago, changed hands last time almost 50 years ago, and now it has a new home in Virginia for as long as I am on this Earth.

Big thanks to Cam, Tom Kirkpatrick and Paul at Colt Archives for information and support.

These pictures were taken by me when I examined the gun in Chicago last week. I expect it via Fedex tomorrow and will post more.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Awesome! Just another fine example of why Colt snubbies rule!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At $9625, the gun didn't come cheap. You didn't get the usual "WW" discount?
Based on what the experts (Cam, Tom) told me this was the WW discounted price. One of the reasons was a poorly set up auction. The consensus was that this is a $15k gun, and someone who doesn’t have one might have even gone higher. I had my bid at $12K and I was ready to go higher, but as it turned out I didn’t have to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Yeah, I thought the original auction pics to be rather poor. Congrats on the purchase...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I thought the original auction pics to be rather poor. Congrats on the purchase...
Thanks. As part of the purchase I gave the shop owner a small tutorial on GB selling. I actually offered $10K on it to keep it off Gunbroker since this is a shop which gives me advance notice on interesting guns. Turns out I saved $375 with the auction. :)

·
The Consummate Collector
6,431 Posts
Colt only built about 40 or so 2" New Services with about half being the cut-a-way or Fitz models so they are what I would consider quite rare. I had the Fitz 2" but looked for many years to find one that had not been cut so this one that WW bought is an excellent find. I would not hesitate to pay $15,000 or more if it was one that I was looking for. Let's see how long it is before the next one shows up.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That seller should thank PreWar1965 for running the price up!
Actually lasette was the one who ran it up about $3,000. Gun was still at $6,500 less than half hour before the end. Prewar1965 had lots of bids, but was indecisive and only bid $100 at a time.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,431 Posts
That seller should thank PreWar1965 for running the price up!
Trust me, if I didn't already have two of them the price would have gone a lot higher. I think WW saved a lot by the auction ending when it did. If it would have ended on a weekend night and was offered by one of the high-end sellers with better pictures I'm sure it would have gone for a lot more. I know a few New Service collectors that would have bid if they had known about it.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
That’s gotta look pretty intimidating on the business end with big 45 slugs almost protruding from the cylinder. One wonders who it was ordered for?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts