Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello every one, being a big colt fan, Im happy to be a part of the colt forum, now for a question, I heard several times that the early 357 colt troopers had some python parts mixed in, do you all happen to know if this is true and if so what would they be, and what troopers were they used on??

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
If the .357 trooper has a target hammer and target stocks, then every part is identical to the python parts with exception to the frame, barrel and the color of the emblems of the wood stocks. Oh and the polished finish is not to the same standards as the python.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
If the .357 trooper has a target hammer and target stocks, then every part is identical to the python parts with exception to the frame, barrel and the color of the emblems of the wood stocks. Oh and the polished finish is not to the same standards as the python.
Polishing of internal action parts is also not to the Python standard.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I think the designation "Trooper" signifies this to be a policeman's "work" sidearm, on the same order as the S&W model 28 Highway Patrol revolver, as related to their Mdl. 27.
Having said that, it is pretty well acknowledged that those .357 Troopers of yesteryear are, as smkummer and weagle note, internally the same tried and true design of the more polished, inside and out, Python.

Compared to this era of handgun fitting of, slap-dash, "stick that flat looking thing up along side that other do-hicky", and ship ship ship, the old Troopers are a masterpiece of quality from what I have seen.

If you like a revolver, they are not to be left lying in the back shelves of a gun shop, if reasonable in price. Welcome to this forum.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,441 Posts
I looked up the serial no. to date the trooper and the first 2 guns to come up was a 1966 357 trooper and a 1966 colt python, so where am I at, Im kind of confused!?
Up until 1969 Colt almost always started a new model off at serial number 1. For this reason, you could have a number of different Colt models all with the same serial number.
In 1969, in response to the Gun Control Act of 1968 which mandated that all guns have a serial number and the number had to be unique, Colt started using combined letter and number sequences on all Colt's so each Colt had a serial number unlike any other.
Before that, determining a model based only on the serial number can be confusing, and the references will often suggest that a gun could be one of several different models, all with the same number.

To more fully answer your questions, Colt used the same action design and parts on all medium framed revolvers from the Army Special of 1908 to the Python. Most parts were the same in all models, with the Python getting an action that received more attention in fitting and adjusting to give it a smoother feel.
While the original Trooper and Python were essentially the same gun, the Python got a lot more hand fitting and adjusting, and the heavy Python barrel and Royal Blue finish.
Small parts like screws, pins, cylinder bolts, hands, cylinder latches, rebound levers, etc. were the same on all medium frame models.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.