Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a first generation new frontier in 4 5/8" barrel with the extra magnum cylinder. Im haing trouble finding the right ammo to get tight groups with .So far only CCi shorts are giving me 2" groups at 15 yards benched! What group size should I be getting.It was unfired when I bought it.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
Sometimes a revolver made to fire 22lr AND .22 Magnum has accuracy "issues".

The problem is, .22 Magnum bullets are slightly larger in diameter than .22lr.
Because of the larger bullet, the barrel's bore has to be slightly larger in diameter than an ordinary .22lr barrel.

These guns sometimes just don't shoot as well as a straight .22lr because the .22lr bullet is slightly smaller.

It seems that dual cylinder guns of all makes are a comprimise.
Yes, they shoot .22 Magnums AND .22lr, BUT Magnums are expensive and not that accurate, and the .22lr typically isn't very accurate either due to the larger bore required.

Bottom line is, they shoot both well, but neither extremely well.

My only suggestion is to keep trying different brands/types of .22 ammo until you find something that works better.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 09-26-2004).]

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks.So far Ive tried Winchester super X,CCi Stingers, CCI mini mags, CCI shorts which were the best, Remington goldens ,and remington yellow jackets.What was weird though was that in the woods I did get a great group with the yellow jackets ,like 1 1/8" at 18 yards resting it on a tree branch.But then at the range it went to pieces and that was off a sandbag.Wasnt there a brand that makes oversize bullets?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Try some of the "standard" velocity or cheaper target ammo; Winchester T22, Federal 711, PMC Scoremaster etc. This ammo seems to have enough pressure to expand the bullet to fit the bore, but not so much to cause leading or other problems that can happen with the high velocity rounds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts