Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is an early Audley pocket holster with the spring safety working on top of the pistol instead of in the trigger guard like we're used to seeing on an Audley. The front leather has a soft and supple pebble grain to it and there is the usual Audley steel bar running horizontally through the center. The Colt is a Type 1 1903 and it is a little small for the holster. Not sure what the holster is fitted to. Some .38 caliber. I have a lot of Audley leather but this one is very unusual to me. The attached patent drawing is some later than the date on the back of the holster and of a different configuration but does show the spring safety. Thanks, Joe

DSC05837.jpg DSC05835.jpg DSC05836.jpg Audley 1910 #1.jpg

·
Registered
927 Posts
I’m glad someone got that who will appreciate it, it’s a rare and unusual holster. Thanks for posting it.
Regards,
turnerriver

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
I believe that the pistol outlined in the patent drawing is a Savage Pistol, one that might better fit the Holster. Very nice and unusual Holster. Thanks for showing it. Jackson

·
Registered
686 Posts
When I saw this thread on my phone, which wasn't showing images because I'm not logged into the forum on the phone, your description was so good I knew which patent you were speaking of for the retention system. But now that I'm logged in on my desktop, the date, which is not in your description, led me to a different patent that is for the pocket-holster function of your holster versus the pistol retention system. This tells us that your holster was made after the 03 Mar 1908 patent (881,044) was issued and before the 04 Jul 1911 patent was issued (but applied for or it couldn't be in your holster, per USPTO regs)(unless Audley just couldn't be bothered putting both patent dates on it). The spring legs move in and out of the rectangular panel to keep the holster inside the pocket of the clothing.

881044 audley.jpg

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice Score Joe...thanks for sharing !!

One of these days...I'll find one for my '08

If you're really interested in an Audley for your '08 take a look at E-Bay. A nice belt holster and 3 pocket holsters on there today. The pocket holsters are all missing the button strap. Thanks, Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts