Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buy it! Vey good price! These are excellent guns,and as dfariswheel said,"sleepers". They were not,however,the first Colts chambered for the .357 Magnum cartridge. Soon after its 1935 introduction,by Smith & Wesson,Colt began to chamber their largest frame double action model,the New Service,for it,along with the Single Action Army. World War 2,put at end to production of both these models by Colt. They were not put back into production after the war,sadly,but in 1956,the SAA was reintroduced. The .357 joined the .38 special & .45 Colt,a couple of years later as a "standard caliber". The "357" is about 8 to 10 oz. lighter than the big N Frame S&W .357 Magnum,and shouldve been more popular than it was as a carry gun for police,and it was 2 years ahead of the introduction of the smaller S&W .357 Combat Magnum. Bud

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have a very early model. Dated by the serial number (25xx) it is a 1954 model. Whenever I take it to the range it amazes people how nice that "Trooper" shoots. I have gotten tired of explaining it's name and now just nod in agreement.
If the one you found is in good mechanical condition you should be well pleased with it. You have also found one at a great price if the condition is good. That dealer has it priced more in line with a Trooper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the help. I think I will get it next week. "Pre-Python" is a very apt description. I am looking forward to it !!

TJ
PS. Another great forum, thanks to the Admin.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess that trade I made back in 1986,dead even,my virtually new S&W 4" 586(before the "recall"!)for a 1959 Colt "357" 6" wasnt too bad! Well it was;the 586 was a present from my wife!!!! Hasnt bought me a gun since!Bud

·
Registered
13 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been mooching around a local gun dealer and found a Colt "357". I was told it was the first Colt .357 and therefore un-named except for calling it a "357".

Looks like a cross between an un-ribbed Python and an Officers Model Match .38 spl. It has a slim round (about) 6" barrel and a rather out of scale ramp foresight. Nice smooth action, single and double. Adjustable sights, and nice chequered grips.

It's in good+ condition and they want $295 (Canadian) for it.(About $225 US)

I rather fancy a cheap 38, What do you think ?

Thanks,

TJ

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
Depending on actual overall condition and whether it's in proper timing and adjustment, that's a very good price for a Colt 357.

Do a search in this forum on 357 and you'll find some good info.

Basically, in the 1950's Colt was going to offer two mid-frame revolvers: the 357 and the very similar Trooper model.

The Trooper was going to be a .22lr or .38 Special "budget" gun for police.

The 357 was to be Colt's top-of-the-line premium holster revolver.

Things got confusing when Colt brought out the Python.
Since people wanting a cheap holster gun bought the Trooper, and people wanting the best bought the Python, Colt discontinued the 357 in 1961 after a total production of only about 15,000 guns.

These are often described as a "pre-Python" and they are in fact, an extremely fine quality revolver, differing from the Python only in the barrel, quality of bluing, and level of hand fitting of the action.

As above, if the gun looks to be in good condition, BUY IT. It's a "sleeper" and one of the finest revolvers ever made.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
lonewolf can you blame her. Whenever my wife chips in a little for me to buy a new gun I start immediately to suck up for the next one.

------------------
Dick

There is a word sweeter than mother, home or heaven--
That word is Liberty.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Diamondback,shes "chipped in" since the 586/"357" incident. Half the price of a non-registered Magnum,one of the last made before the war,paid $400 for it.a dozen years ago. And a loan for a new 32/20 M 1894CL Marlin for $200 from a pawn shop,who couldnt sell it due to "odd caliber". But usually,I "sneak" guns into the house( a helluva lot easier with handguns than the few longarms I have!). My classic story on this,is about 13 years ago,I picked up,for $425,one of the first 2nd gen SAAs reintroduced in 1956. A .38 special 5 1/2",it has the most beautiful color case. Had it in my belt,when my winter coat opened,and she saw it. Before I could say a word,she said,pointing to the case colored frame,contrasting with the nice blued other parts,"Boy you got some work to do on that old gun,the finish is ALL worn off;hope you didnt pay much for that". Yup,your right,I didnt dear! Bud

1 - 8 of 8 Posts