Colt Forum banner

281 - 300 of 306 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Trying to get to 50 posts to use classifieds so here’s my baby. Can anyone tell me if this bluing is original ? When I first got this piece I thought the finish was too clean to be factory. Interested to know what the pros think...1909 model 1905
Not original, the slide markings are scrubbed off. The barrel should be blued too.
But a rare one with the lanyard "swivel" for the London Agency; it's in a block of similar guns sent Feb 17 1909 according to the info in Goddard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info. Did not know that about the lanyard. So this one was an export to the UK? Am I understanding that correctly?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've been looking for a long time for an early 99% Model 1908 .25 Hammerless Auto. I've had a WTB ad here for months but nothing showed up. I found this one in the original numbered box with the manual and brush and it is truly as-new-in-the-box. That early high-polish blued finish is just incredible. The photos appear to show a loss of bluing at the muzzle and a couple of high points but they are just glare from the light. It came with the original hard rubber grips and they are as nice as the gun but I had these early pearl grips in the safe and they really dress up the gun.
P8200005.JPG
P8200007.JPG

·
Registered
109 Posts
1911?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've been looking for a long time for an early 99% Model 1908 .25 Hammerless Auto. I'ver had a WTB ad here for months but nothing showed up. I found this one in the original numbered box with the manual and brush and it is truly as-new-in-the-box. That early high-polish blued finish is just incredible. The photos appear to show a loss of bluing at the muzzle and a couple of high points but they are just glare from the light. It came with the original hard rubber grips and they are as nice as the gun but I had these early pearl grips in the safe and they really dress up the gun.
View attachment 708894 View attachment 708895
I can't figure out how to comment on a pistol as nice as that without using a bunch of clichés. Words like "beautiful" and "wow" seem inadequate. So I'll just say I envy you and congratulations on your acquisition, and let it go at that.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts

Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32 in factory nickel and 1908 Vest Pocket .25 in factory nickel both with original boxes numbered to the guns. The 1908 Vest Pocket box has the "WOOD" label for the stocks and is from 1925, which is within the transition point from hard rubber to checkered walnut.

Sam

·
Registered
9,734 Posts
That's an awesome and unusual bit of history...went to see service on a battleship and a foreign battleship at that.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
That is an awesome and unusual bit of history for sure! First time I have seen a letter shipping a gun directly to a ship. Very cool!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Very interesting letter...

The Minas Geraes was built in U.K. by Armstrong's yard at Elswick on the Clyde. Armstrong (later combined into Vickers to form Vickers-Armstrong) built a lot of ships for export. The Minas Geraes sister ship was built by Vickers. New York Ship Building re-fitted the ship in the early 1920s... They also built a battleship for Argentina. Government models for that ship have turned up in the past as well...

FWIW

Chuck

Colt Government Model shipped to the Brazilian Battleship "Minas Geraes" on September 21, 1921.
One of the first 200 Government pistol purchased by the Brazilian military, now part of the São Paulo Military Police Museum. View attachment 712647
View attachment 712648

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice history. The battleship was being retrofitted at the Brooklyn Navy Yard at the time of shipment in 1921.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the clarification...

Nice history... Thanks for the correction. I had confused the two with the two Argentine battleships built by New York Shipbuilding. The battleship was being retrofitted at the Brooklyn Navy Yard at the time of shipment in 1921. Both were built on the Clyde by Armstrong's and Vickers respectively.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Already had my circa 1920 Colt Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless Type III for quite some time...

But just added this circa 1909 Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammerless Type II & 3 pinned and unmarked Type I magazines to my accumulation... better pics to follow, that's how new she is to me ...( Thanks Claude )

Even bought her some new shoes: ( Thanks 73shovel )

Note:
According to Brunner, medallions were not available in Colt factory special order ivory and mother-of pearl Model M stocks until May of 1911.

281 - 300 of 306 Posts