Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked these grips up in a large lot of parts, etc. from the estate of an elderly Gunsmith. While I
have seen similar Colt grips I have not seen any with this exact pattern or Gold Medallions. Anyone recognize
them?

DSC01759.JPG

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
I'm not all that familiar with the early 1900's Colt fancy grips, but they did not have Gold medallions.
The medallions on the grips now are from the 1960's and later and were used only on the Python beginning in 1955 and other Colt's beginning in the mid-1970's.

Possibly, someone replaced the original Silver medallions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with that and also thought the medallions had been replaced. but the border pattern is also unusual and especially with medallions.
Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for the information and photos. This subscribers to this forum always comes up with the answers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the information and photos. This subscribers to this forum always comes up with the answers.

No sooner had I posted this than along came these photos of two different Colt Officer's Model Match with what appear to be the same grips. Considering the Officer's Model Match and Target were Colt's Premier revolvers until the Python in 1955 the new information I received indicates these grips could come with the gold medallion starting in 1955.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
Yep..Matt is spot on...should be deep dish medallions.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yup. Good information here. My guess is that the original deep dish medallions weren't treated well and wore out more than the wooden stock did, so someone replaced them for modern gold ones. Not sure why else someone would have done it, as there is far more value in having kept it original.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts