Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After looking at chevis' 34 DS, anyone interested in an early (unshrouded) Detective Special picture thread? ...possibly the coolest revolvers ever made!

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Well, I can only participate to the extent of one, so I just keep dragging it out. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Administrator
7,326 Posts
Good topic ! Nice DS's guys .

[ QUOTE ]
...possibly the coolest revolvers ever made!

[/ QUOTE ]

They are pretty cool at that /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
391 Posts
Since no one has included a post-war unshrouded DS yet, I'll throw mine in. This gun, serial #765xxx, left Hartford in 1960. It is the second type DS. It has the post-war ramp sight, and a long ejector rod, accomplished by using a full-length rod, with a smaller nub on the end. I realized this by comparing this DS with my 5" Police Positive Special 3rd issue (1964). The two guns are identical in every way except for barrel length. This DS also still has the full-length grip frame, which can be seen in the photo. This specimen does not even have a turn-line, but was purchased for a very reasonable price due to the blemish in bluing the frame just above the trigger. The grips show some carry wear. She is an excellent shooter, doing just as well as the 5" if I do my part.

BTW, ever see a 5" DS? Just kidding! It's a 5" PPS. Never knew they were made with round butts untill I purchased this one!

·
Registered
705 Posts
And those grips are the sweetest ones i've seen. Looks like a Diamondback service grip. I want it. How much? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guy sajer...love that 37! Flashy--very cool.
BBBS...the frame on my DS is a "square butt" one. It matches the contour of the grips. I think the frame was changed in 1934 to the round contour like guy's '37.

I picked this one up at Gander Mountain...where it had been for sale for over a year! Nobody wanted her because the cylinder wouldn't latch properly and she needed timed. I bought her at a discounted price--they wanted to move it--and sent her to Grant Cunningham for service. He straightened out the bent crane and timed her perfectly. Price was very reasonable and once he emailed me to send her to him until she was returned was only six days! His service was excellent.

I have two other unshrouded DSs and an unshrouded Agent.
DOBs are 1956 (year I was born)...1967...and the Agent is 1969
Both of the Dick Specials are virtually unturned and the trigger pull on the '56 is outstanding! The agent is NIB.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
coltlarry,
Does your WWII DS have a full "square" frame under the grip panels? The one I started this thread with was manufactured in 1931 and is actually refered to as a "C" frame from what I was told...

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
All Detective Specials are the larger "C" frame, whch was introduced in 1925. The round butt appeared in 1933-1934. My Police Positive Special 2-inch that is one of the special run of 100 supposedly Detective Special prototypes (lettered as such), shipped in 1926 with a 1928-range serial number, has the smaller "G" frame.

To me, the DS is one of the "Classic" Colts. Love them.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Here is barely fired in the box 32 caliber from 1969 I assume.The serial number is A23455,,so if you look it up then you will be as confused as me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here's the infamous 1917 PPS rebarrelled with a DS barrel my wife's grandfather carried on the force back in the 20's-50's. It's still pretty neat looking.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
chevis, really nice .32 ...I love these little guys! At the Medina,OH gun show, there's been a fellow with a .32 for sale for some time...NIB --now I'm really tempted.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Believe it not this last weekend at a gunshow I was at one table,my buddy was at the table next to me.My friend not being shy asked what was in a fellows backpack.My friend got a NIB 38 DS with a hammer shroud on it.Then walked him over to me and I got the 1934 nickel in the other post and this 32....so I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.I will have better pictures of the 1934 probably tomorrow.I took some today but haven't loaded em up yet.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
no wonder i cant find a decent pre war d/s, you scoundrel`s have them all /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif very nice guns in this thread /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
159 Posts
I found this 1933 mint DS in Shotgun News. I called and talked with a young man who had inherited it from his dad who was a detective in New York and had been given the DS when he retired. He sold it to me for less than $300. because he wanted to buy a "Wonder Nine" and had to keep it a secret from his wife. So he was selling this family heirloom so his wife wouldn't know he had bought the new 9mm. He'll be sorry some day, I'm sure.

·
Registered
345 Posts
PLEASE...don't tell us how much you paid for the weapon.It only makes those of us who will pay top dollar look like fools when we do.But if you try to resell it someday it will only work against you,trust me,because now I know,and everyone else,how much you paid for it and we'll think badly of you if you want high top market price.

Now would you be willing to double your money on the weapon?E-mail me and we might work out a deal,ok!

·
Registered
573 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
...he was selling this family heirloom so his wife wouldn't know he had bought the new 9mm. He'll be sorry some day, I'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd question that...some people spend their whole life stupid.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts