Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
I don't know, but I love the minimal class A engraving. Some times wide open spaces makes you appreciate the engraving more rather than being overwhelmed by it. Like that Townes Van Zant song that goes, "There ain't no dark 'till something shines...". I can only recall two Colts, both Sheriffs Models, that I've seen in books engraved by him. One a Texas themed one in the Doc O'Meara SAA book. Uh hmm. You know, a left hander should really own that gun.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I don't know, but I love the minimal class A engraving. Some times wide open spaces makes you appreciate the engraving more rather than being overwhelmed by it. Like that Townes Van Zant song that goes, "There ain't no dark 'till something shines...". I can only recall two Colts, both Sheriffs Models, that I've seen in books engraved by him. One a Texas themed one in the Doc O'Meara SAA book. Uh hmm. You know, a left hander should really own that gun.
I agree with this. I like engraved Colts as much as the next guy but I don't like full coverage engraving, gold bands or inlays in most cases. My dream gun would be either A or B engraved and finished in antique nickel rather than high polish. With plain ivory stocks too. Saintclair's gun is a beauty.

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
The 1979 .44 has mellow case colors. Early 80s guns often had that, too. I wonder if this gun had a more Turnbull type fiery case coloring if it would actually be a negative hiding or distracting from the frame engraving. The toned down colors might be better for engraved guns. Sure works that way on this one.

·
Premium Member
19,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did the caliber mark originally say LC?
Rick, I did not own the gun before it was engraved. Bill Dascher had Howard Dove do this gun as part of a set honoring lawmen and cattlemen.
He even had a matching Winchester 94 carbine engraved for this Texas Lawman set. He split up all the sets he had and sent most to auctions, I was fortunate to obtain this Sheriff's Model from the person Bill sold it to.

·
Registered
482 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts