Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was 6 years old in 1953. My mom took me to the movies to see “Shane”. He had a shiny nickel Colt .45 and knew how to use it. Named Walter Jack Palance, back then, the bad guy, had twin sixguns.

But Shane said that only one was all you really needed. I was SO hooked.

I recall his saying, “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool; an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” I did.

This may be the first time I realized my love for the Colt brand. How about you – when was it?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
My love for Colts started in late 89 when I started shooting revolvers.I wanted a Pythom SOOOO BAD but it was always out of my price range. When a 4 inch Peacekeeper landed at my friends gun store it was love at first sight.Thanks to it being a "Strike Baby" the black matte finsh turned off potential buyers and the price got to a point where it became mine.....A great day indeed.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I was 8 years old in 1953; it was all of those old westerns we used to go to see. Back in those days it was safe for a couple of 8 year olds to walk to the Saturday Matinee without their parents. I think I liked the pre movie serial, Commando Cody (Sky Marshal of the Universe), as much as the movie, but I never started collecting those Ray Guns!!!! :D

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
when I was a kid about 10 yrs old a Christmas present from an uncle was a toy colt revolving rifle that had miniature brass cases that shot plastic bullets. that might be what sent me down the colt road. :cool:

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
when I was a kid about 10 yrs old a Christmas present from an uncle was a toy colt revolving rifle that had miniature brass cases that shot plastic bullets. that might be what sent me down the colt road. :cool:
Yeah, Ace! I had one of those, too! We'd put caps on the cartridge base so that it made a loud, ferocious "BANG!!," right? :p I also had a toy Peacemaker at about eight years of age. No projectiles, but caps on every round. I suppose I got really hooked on Colts when I joined the military and handled M1911s and M16s. I marveled at the variety of manufacturers, but I knew when I bought my first one it would be a Colt.

Reactions: ace and Colt-SL

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I think many of us here are showing out age with this thread! But I like it, it sure brings back memories of getting into the theater on saturday morning with six (6) Coke bottlecaps. Yep Coke in bottles too!

The old westerns is what got me started. My dad was an avid cowboy movie watcher and loved guns! I remember having the toy cap gun "Six Shooters", but the one I wanted most was the Mattel Fanner 50! I had to wait a little while to get one since they were more than the regular toy guns, but I finally got one! All the neighborhood kids played "Cowboy and Indians" all the time. What fun days those were, and I remember them well!

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Probably around mid 50's with Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers and one of my favorite shows "The Tales of Wells Fargo" with Dale Robertson. All carried the iconic Colt "six shooter" and they all knew how to use em :) . My Grandpa was a huge Western movie/TV fan and as he used to say "I like watching these cowboy shows because there's lots of action". Naturally I wanted a Fanning 50 like some of my friends had but my mom was very anti gun, toy or otherwise. Grandpa bought me one but we kept it at his house and since he lived next door, well, let's just say mom was none the wiser. We kept that a secret for years.

·
Premium Member
12,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably around mid 50's with Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers and one of my favorite shows "The Tales of Wells Fargo" with Dale Robertson. All carried the iconic Colt "six shooter" and they all knew how to use em :) . My Grandpa was a huge Western movie/TV fan and as he used to say "I like watching these cowboy shows because there's lots of action". Naturally I wanted a Fanning 50 like some of my friends had but my mom was very anti gun, toy or otherwise. Grandpa bought me one but we kept it at his house and since he lived next door, well, let's just say mom was none the wiser. We kept that a secret for years.
All great ones! Roy Rogers was my favorite and yes, I DO remember the Tales of Wells Fargo. Put cowboy boots, a cowboy hat and Colt six shooters on a cat and I'd be glued to the screen! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My grandfather had a Colt Bisley in 32-20, 7 1/2" barrel. My dad and I were horseback with Grandpa, he spotted a coyote a ways off. He stepped down off his horse, lifted the Colt out of his holster and laid it across the saddle on his horse, took his time and shot the coyote. I remember it vividly. In later years Dad told me that that coyote had been out past 200 yards. It was 1949 and I was 4. I have owned that gun and holster/belt rig since 1956.

·
Premium Member
12,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My grandfather had a Colt Bisley in 32-20, 7 1/2" barrel. My dad and I were horseback with Grandpa, he spotted a coyote a ways off. He stepped down off his horse, lifted the Colt out of his holster and laid it across the saddle on his horse, took his time and shot the coyote. I remember it vividly. In later years Dad told me that that coyote had been out past 200 yards. It was 1949 and I was 4. I have owned that gun and holster/belt rig since 1956.
Very cool! I'd dearly love to see that six gun in pictures! :cool:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'll see about getting some posted later today in this thread; thanks for asking.

Reactions: Colt-SL

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Hi Tony;

I was ten years old in 1956 and I too saw the movie Shane a long, long time ago and I've always loved that name. The movie made such an impression on me way back then, that I said to myself, if I ever get married and had a son, I would call him Shane.

Well, I was married in 1974 to my wonderful wife of forty years this year, and in 1976 she gave me a son. His name is Shane. I'm reminded of that beautiful movie every time I think of my son which is at least once daily.

Thanks a million Tony, for giving me an opportunity to tell you about my son Shane.

Bud

I was 6 years old in 1953. My mom took me to the movies to see “Shane”. He had a shiny nickel Colt .45 and knew how to use it. Named Walter Jack Palance, back then, the bad guy, had twin sixguns.

But Shane said that only one was all you really needed. I was SO hooked.

I recall his saying, “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool; an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” I did.

This may be the first time I realized my love for the Colt brand. How about you – when was it?

·
Premium Member
12,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Tony;

Well, I was married in 1974 to my wonderful wife of forty years this year, and in 1976 she gave me a son. His name is Shane. I'm reminded of that beautiful movie every time I think of my son which is at least once daily.

Bud
Congratulations on 40 years Bud! God bless you my friend. And how wonderful to have a son named Shane. Thanks so much for sharing!

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Yeah, Ace! I had one of those, too! We'd put caps on the cartridge base so that it made a loud, ferocious "BANG!!," right? :p I also had a toy Peacemaker at about eight years of age. No projectiles, but caps on every round. I suppose I got really hooked on Colts when I joined the military and handled M1911s and M16s. I marveled at the variety of manufacturers, but I knew when I bought my first one it would be a Colt.
that was a rare toy rifle we had, I know others existed but I never saw another one except in a pic.
had to be the reason I like rare colts :cool:

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Count me in as wanting to see that Colt Bisely too!

Not sure if its a "Colt" but I was one happy little kid when I got this pistol rig in 1950-something for Christmas!

Fast forward into the early-mid 60's, my brother and I would sneak down into my grandfathers basement and check out the model 1908 Colt pistol he kept fully loaded and holstered, poorly hidden away in a tin breadbox. That was the pistol he carried with him during his WWI service and I now have that pistol.
Into the 70's, here I am on the right with my Colt rifle:

Kim

·
Registered
138 Posts
I still have my two genuine Roy Rogers cap guns set (Colts of course) that I received when I was eight. They came with real leather holsters and belt. I can't find the belt, but I don't believe it would fit now days.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
How many of u remember the neckerchief slide that William Boyd wore as Hoppy?The originals were a cattle skull made from a vertebrae w/pieces of bone for the horns & were covered w/colored beads,they came out in the late '30's,every once in a while I'll dig mine out for a special occasion,I've had if for around 70 yrs.When I was young we played cowboys & indians & several people have asked me why I do what I do & I tell them I just got old but never grew up.I learned how to spin guns from watching Johnny Mack Brown & Roy Rogers in their westerns.

·
Premium Member
12,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How many of u remember the neckerchief slide that William Boyd wore as Hoppy?The originals were a cattle skull made from a vertebrae w/pieces of bone for the horns & were covered w/colored beads,they came out in the late '30's,every once in a while I'll dig mine out for a special occasion,I've had if for around 70 yrs.When I was young we played cowboys & indians & several people have asked me why I do what I do & I tell them I just got old but never grew up.I learned how to spin guns from watching Johnny Mack Brown & Roy Rogers in their westerns.
Jim, I had forgotten about Hoppy's neckerchief slide until I picked up the Spring edition of "Guns of the Old West". On page77 there is his photo with it on (6).

Great article that also includes Roy and many other TV and movie Western stars and their arms and outfits!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts