Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,
I was wondering about a nickel Python that's on GB. The guy says it is a 1961 model. However, the rear sight is not nickeled, nor is the grip screw. I was under the understanding that all of the early nickel guns had these components nickeled as well. Has this one been modified?
Thanks for insight!

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
A lot of guys make mistakes by serial numbers —-that 1961 may have a letter in it that the guy missed making it a
1981. Ask for clarification.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
I would steer clear from that Python. The Test Target is hilarious. You can see where someone erased the original serial number and date and wrote the new numbers in pencil. Here is another quote from the description: "Note the "NS" stamped on the frame depicting nickel finish from the factory" ... WRONG!

Reactions: ponyup

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I noticed that about the target. Have asked him about the S/N on the frame & bottom of the box. No response of course.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Good morning,
I was wondering about a nickel Python that's on GB. The guy says it is a 1961 model. However, the rear sight is not nickeled, nor is the grip screw. I was under the understanding that all of the early nickel guns had these components nickeled as well. Has this one been modified?
Thanks for insight!
Haven't seen the gun you're talking about, but I believe the rear sight should also be of the "half moon" type on a 1961 model (ie with a rounded cut instead of square around the blade).

·
Registered
471 Posts
Haven't seen the gun you're talking about, but I believe the rear sight should also be of the "half moon" type on a 1961 model (ie with a rounded cut instead of square around the blade).
Ollie you dont know perchance what the transition year is on the half moon to square site ?? 69-70??

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Ollie you dont know perchance what the transition year is on the half moon to square site ?? 69-70??
My memory is "good but short", but I believe it was changed to square cut at the same time they revised the cylinder/crane assembly... 1973 or thereabouts? I would like to know this myself, so I hope somebody will have more correct info on exactly when that happened.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
My memory is "good but short", but I believe it was changed to square cut at the same time they revised the cylinder/crane assembly... 1973 or thereabouts? I would like to know this myself, so I hope somebody will have more correct info on exactly when that happened.
From my research, it was sometime in 1970 when they changed from half circle blade cut-outs to the square blade cut-outs. It was the same year that was the last for the nickel front and rear sights ('70). That is why there are a limited few nickel accro sights with square blade cut-outs, also because certain nickel Diamondbacks with the fixed front sight got the nickel rear accros for a little while after the elimination in '71.

I'm going to send you an updated copy of my guide Olle. I have updated quite a few things since you have seen it. Now it's an even better tool to have on hand for references like this.

The I frame cylinder assembly change came in late '76, around serial number 36190E. The change on D frames occurred somewhere in the early/mid '60s (after '61 and before '68). Going with this newer cylinder assembly in the magnum I frame was a bad decision and severely cheapened the Python, in my opinion.

Reactions: Olle

·
Registered
471 Posts
From my research, it was sometime in 1970 when they changed from half circle blade cut-outs to the square blade cut-outs. It was the same year that was the last for the nickel front and rear sights ('70). That is why there are a limited few nickel accro sights with square blade cut-outs, also because certain nickel Diamondbacks with the fixed front sight got the nickel rear accros for a little while after the elimination in '71.

I'm going to send you an updated copy of my guide Olle. I have updated quite a few things since you have seen it. Now it's an even better tool to have on hand for references like this.

The I frame cylinder assembly change came in late '76, around serial number 36190E. The change on D frames occurred somewhere in the early/mid '60s (after '61 and before '68).
thats what i had in my notes......but it never hurts to ask and get more specific information ...thx

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts